Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Laguna with a road speed sensor in the diff (with 3 wires coming off it). As my speedo only works some of the time I thought I should replace it.

I replaced the speedo head, but that made no difference.

Problem is, I can't get the sensor out, and I don't want to break it and leave half in there.

Haynes manual says removal is self explanatory, well not to me. I have a spanner that fits it, but it just goes around and around. in a certain position I can move it up or down a fraction (and I mean a fraction).

Obviously the position of it doesn't lend itself to easy replacement, but can anyone advise me on how to get it out?

Many Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Anugal.

I'm sure someone will be able to assist with your post shortly.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just checked with a Renault Dealer, the part is £26 and labour to fit is an additional £140.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've worked it out.

There is a metal pin clip which holds it in place.
it's not easy to spot, but if you run your hands down the side of the mounting bracket (which the sensor is seated in)you can feel it.

The hex nut on ton of the sensor does nothing, just ignore it.

Visability is not good, but you can slip a flat ended screwdriver over one end of the clip and flick it off. If your like me all you hear is a ping and never see it.
Never saw it on the car, just felt it, pinged it off, gone for good. I had to make a new clip to do the job, but I'm sure the original will turn up at some point (6 to 12 months time).

Anyway, hopefully everyone else who has been asking how to remove their speedo sensors can benefit from this, hopfully if this is you, you won't loose the clip :)

Happy sensor replacing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m writing this just to give closure to this thread.

Like so many others that I’ve seen posting around the web (for Clio’s, Megan’s and Laguna’s) my speedo started to work only when it felt like it. Firstly I replaced the speedo head as there is no speedo cable. But that didn’t make any difference. I then got told about a mythical speedo sensor (really called a road speed sensor). This beast does exist and it can be found with questing fingers sitting on the top of the diff, right in between where the two half shafts meet. It sits inside a big heavy bracket.

Apparently the speedo head very rarely go faulty and usually the fault can be traced to the road speed sensor.

To remove on the Laguna (guessing it will be similar on the Clio and Megan):
Remove the air filter assembly to give you space.
Reach your hand behind the engine to locate to sensor.
Pull off the metal heat shield which protects it, it’s is only held in with a spring clip.
Pull off the wire connector from the top. This should have 3 wires.
Locate the wire pin and prize off (it is at that point I lost mine).
And pull out the road speed sensor.

My replacement cost less that £30 and slipped straight in. And even no longer needed the clip I lost as the clip is now built into the sensor.

Plug the wire back in.
Replace the heat shield
Put your air filter back in.

Drive down the road and marvel at the needle of the speedo reflecting the speed you are traveling.

I hope this helps people, please bear in mind though this is how I did it and it may be slightly different for other models and years of production. Oh and it may be best to do this when the engine is cold as it’s very close to the exhaust pipe and it may be a tad warm to the touch.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Great posts. MaKes a pleasant change for new members to offer advice with their early posts and to update us with the outcome.
:beer:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys first post and i have a problem with my speedo. looked at this thread and thought i would get stuck in, only there was no heat shield and ended up looking at this, it has three wires coming out of it. but it wont budge and cant find a pin. tell me am i looking at the right sensor?

any photos would be ace.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes that's the one, the heatshield is missing that's all.

sorry to take so long to reply (you may not even need the info now). this is the first time i've looked at this thread since my final posting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts