Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out on the following problem.
Whilst stuck in traffic lights my car had a fuel injection fault. The warning light came on with the esp fault. Then my car had a stop red light and it shut itself down.

From researching this forum I can see that it might come down to the fuel pressure regulator or fuel sensor. From someones advice I took of the regulator and left it in carb cleaner over night. However if the car runs on idle for more than 25mins the fault will happen again.

I've been running my car with aircon on and everyime I come to a set of traffic lights I turn my car off. This seems to be helping!

Anyway.......
I went to my local garage the other day and had a diagnostics reading. It came up as follows :

1) 116 - Thermoplunger number 1 relay control circuit open or short to earth current

2) 175 - hermoplunger number 2 relay control circuit open or short to earth current

3) 142 - Fuel Pressure sensor circuit open - current

4) 184 - Fuel pressure regulator incoherence current.

I dont know what any of the above means?
Could anyone help out with the codes?
Is the fuel Regulator the problem?
What the hell is a thermoplunger?

I don't want to take my car to renault as they have quoted me £600+ to fix when my car is only worth £1000

Cheers for any help!

D

·
0 Posts
I'm having a pure guess here, but i think those fault codes will have popped up due to you taking the fuel regulator off. Did you have the codes cleared from the ECU?
As it seems temperature related, i'd probably look at the ECT sensor first and take it from there, as if that is giving duff readings then it will overfuel the engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Danthevan! I didn't have the faults cleared before I took off the regulator? Maybe I should? I didn't turn the car on whilst the regulator was off or anything so I didn't think the car would realize that I had taken it off?

What is the ECT sensor and where in the engine can I find it? Is there an easy way to check to see if it's OK?

Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Not sure where the ECT sensor is on a renault (will be somewhere where water runs, usually on the head) , but they should be around the £20 mark for a new one.

The thing with fault codes is there is no telling how long they have been there, could be the current problem or an uncleared code from years ago!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts