Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post on this very informative forum and It's already given me the info to fix one of my windows... Thanks for that ;)

I have an 03 Laguna II 1.9 dci and it hold back when on steady revs. It seems to do it more when it's warm (that could be my imagination) The car has loads of power when you accelerate but when you reach speed and want to cruise, that's when the holding back starts. There looks to be a bit of black smoke too.

I've had a good read over the posts but can't seem to find the answer.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chris,

Forgot to mention that I had the codes read and nothing comes up at all and no warning lights.

I did try the air flow and that definately makes it better but that could be due to the lack of overall power when that's not conected.

I might try the EGR over the weekend just to see if it does anything.

Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did replacing the EGR hav any affect? Am suffering from exactly the same problem at the moment - loss of power and lots n' lots of smoke out the exhaust... am dropping it in to garage on Thursday so would like to give 'em a clue!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello Daveybobbin,welcome to the forum.:)

Does your car have a dCi engine fitted?If so,in your case it sounds more likely to an EGR valve fault or a split intercooler or turbo hose.It could even be a case that the turbo is on it's last legs.:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yup! dCi engine on a 2002 Laguna II 1.9. To be honest I had suspected it may be the Turbo but was hoping it might prove to be something less costly!

Thanks again - terrific forum

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I started it but it's stuck and I didn't want it to break getting it out as I needed the car. The big hammer and pipe grips come out to play now!!

I will be doing it some time this week and I'll let you know.

When you say a lot of smoke, do you mean a lot or a bit when it holds back? Mine just tends to be the latter.. the odd bit.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Hi, just had what sounds like a very similar issue with mine and the EGR valve was clogged, I believe when you take the valve out it has to be turned in one direction then it comes out..

sorry cant be much more help..

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi took my egr valve out, it to split but just cleaned it put it back together [as bolts run through rivets] not a problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I've cleaned the EGR Valve and it's made the car run a great deal better. There is a very slight hessitation but you have to try hard to get the car to do it.

So here's how I did it from the very first nut and bolt.

1. Remove the 3 10mm nuts from the engin cover (yes yes I know, but I did say I'd start from the very 1st nut and bolt!!)

2. As you look at the alloy manifold to the rear of the engine, on the right you see a black plastic housing with a large hose connected to it.. Undo the jubilee clip and the 3 10mm bolts holding that on then get it out of your way.

3. once step 2 is done the EGR Valve is under and slightly back from the housing you just removed. The first thing now is to remove the plug from the EGR Valve and remove the 3 10mm bolts holding it in.
The next bit is where I think people are breaking the valve. As you look at the valve it looks like the valve fits on a raised flange on the manifold but this is NOT the case, the valve is 2 parts pressed together. Get a flat punch/drift type tool and start knocking the valve a bit clockwise and then a bit anti clockwise.. making sure you are hitting both bits where the bolt holes are. Eventually you will be able to work it free by hand and remove the valve.

4. With the valve out you need a can of carb cleaner, a small wire brush and a small screwdriver.

Inside the valve you will see 2 disc s that will move. Push them up and use the small screwdriver to hold them up. The next bit is just a case of clean all the surfaces...then clean them again until your happy it's clean.

And lastly, do everything in reverse and put it all together. The job took me about 45 mins so it's got to be worth a try.

Tools used:

3/8 Ratchet
4" Extension bar
10mm Socket
10mm Ring Spanner
8mm Drift
Small Flat Blade Screw Driver
Large Flat Blade Screw Driver
1 Can Carb Cleaner
2 Cups of Strong Tea (with sugar)

I hope my little readme saves a few of you a headache and helps you fix your car.

mimic

·
Registered
6 Posts
Excellent - thanks for this... I'll be dropping the car in tomorrow and will certainly be taking a print-out of the comments...

Thanks again

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Laguna 11 1.8 16v Holding Back

my laguna 11 has the same problem but makes a popping sound while its holding back any ideas. we been to renault who said lamber sensor we had it done but no improvement. plleeaasse its driving me mad

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Well I've cleaned the EGR Valve and it's made the car run a great deal better. There is a very slight hessitation but you have to try hard to get the car to do it.

So here's how I did it from the very first nut and bolt.

1. Remove the 3 10mm nuts from the engin cover (yes yes I know, but I did say I'd start from the very 1st nut and bolt!!)

2. As you look at the alloy manifold to the rear of the engine, on the right you see a black plastic housing with a large hose connected to it.. Undo the jubilee clip and the 3 10mm bolts holding that on then get it out of your way.

3. once step 2 is done the EGR Valve is under and slightly back from the housing you just removed. The first thing now is to remove the plug from the EGR Valve and remove the 3 10mm bolts holding it in.
The next bit is where I think people are breaking the valve. As you look at the valve it looks like the valve fits on a raised flange on the manifold but this is NOT the case, the valve is 2 parts pressed together. Get a flat punch/drift type tool and start knocking the valve a bit clockwise and then a bit anti clockwise.. making sure you are hitting both bits where the bolt holes are. Eventually you will be able to work it free by hand and remove the valve.

4. With the valve out you need a can of carb cleaner, a small wire brush and a small screwdriver.

Inside the valve you will see 2 disc s that will move. Push them up and use the small screwdriver to hold them up. The next bit is just a case of clean all the surfaces...then clean them again until your happy it's clean.

And lastly, do everything in reverse and put it all together. The job took me about 45 mins so it's got to be worth a try.

Tools used:

3/8 Ratchet
4" Extension bar
10mm Socket
10mm Ring Spanner
8mm Drift
Small Flat Blade Screw Driver
Large Flat Blade Screw Driver
1 Can Carb Cleaner
2 Cups of Strong Tea (with sugar)

I hope my little readme saves a few of you a headache and helps you fix your car.

mimic
Mimic,

Nice write-up but don't really want to be the bearer of bad tiding but you have only done half a job. The main issue with the EGR is not really the valve but the channels in the manifold.

If you look into the manifold when you have removed the large first pipe (2. above) & the EGR (3. above) there are 2 pass through channels which allows the gases to flow once the EGR valve has opened. These get completely sooted/gunged up, just cleaning the valve will not help if these are still clogged. You need to use liberal amounts of carb cleaner, screwdrivers, knives, bent metal, washers on end of screwed rods, anything at hand to get these channels unclogged.

Alan...

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Re: Laguna 11 1.8 16v Holding Back

my laguna 11 has the same problem but makes a popping sound while its holding back any ideas. we been to renault who said lamber sensor we had it done but no improvement. plleeaasse its driving me mad
Hi Shay - this thread is about diesel engines. If your engine is a petrol you may get a better response by posting a new topic in the Engines section.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone....new boy.....
I got a laguna2 1.9dci, exactly the same symptons described here, at about 2000 revs the engine kind of pulses, loads of black smoke most of the time, quite embarrased to drive it really. I managed to get the egr valve off, whilst smashing it to bits sadly, I got a new one, anyhow the valve was a bit covered but buy no means blocked and I've still got the same symptoms, anyone got any ideas? the air filter box has got a dodgey screw on it and doesn't seal properly could that be it?
cheers.
craig

1 - 16 of 16 Posts