Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Laguna II 2.0 IDE- 02 plate - Lack of power

Hi,

I recently bought a 5 year old Laguna 2.0 IDE and it was running fine until a couple of weeks ago when it suddenly lost power & acceleration.

It still drives but even a small hill sees it struggling to maintain a reasonable speed and a long incline can see it drop from 70 to 40 mph.

I gave it to my local garage to look at & they tell me there's a leak at the exhause/engine junction but that's not what's causing the power problem.

Can anyone help?

Best

John

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Did they say that the exhaust manifold wasn't the problem, or was it fixed and still does it? Sounds a very likely cause of the problem to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Schmooster,

Thanks for the response.

They didn't have time to sort the exhaust but it's booked in for next week. They didn't think that was the problem though.

I'm not very mechanically minded so I'd appreciate if you would clue me in on how that would cause the problem.

Best

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Schmooster,

Thanks for the response.

They didn't have time to sort the exhaust but it's booked in for next week. They didn't think that was the problem though.

I'm not very mechanically minded so I'd appreciate if you would clue me in on how that would cause the problem.

Best

John

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Hi Bass,

It'll be interesting to see what happens then.

I could well be wrong but I'll try to explain where I'm coming from -basically you don't want anything interfering with the exhaust system. My gut feeling (in this instance) would be that the lambda sensor is receiving the wrong information because the exhaust gases are drawing air in through the gap at the manifold. This will tell the ECU that there is more oxygen in the mix than expected (running lean) and the ECU will increase the richness of the mix to compensate, the rich mix will cause the exact symptoms you're seeing, problems accelerating up hills etc or whenever there's greater demand on the system.

It could be screwing up the back pressure though, the gasses whirling around the area of the leak preventing them being expelled from the cylinders properly - also causing similar symptoms.

I'm not saying it is the case, I'm just curious that they would rule it out completely as it could be a number of other things as well - but why ignore the obvious?

Let us know how you get on so that someone who really knows what they're talking about can help you, instead of me. :p :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts