Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Having recently replaced a leaking intercooler on my 107k miles Laguna II 2.2 dCi (old one was bowed badly at the bottom) it has got me thinking about the EGR valve and if I should replace it or not.

From reading other posts it appears that a leaking intercooler can be caused by a sticky EGR valve beacuse it allows pressure to build up in the intercooler causing it to burst.

I have removed my EGR valve and cleaned it with brake cleaner (it wasn't too dirty) but how do I know its functioning properly? I think Renault have a tool to check it but is there any definitive way I can check it myself?

Should I just go ahead and replace it or would I be just wasting money?

Cheers,

Gavin

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
did any oil come out of the intercooler, if so the seals have gone on the turbo. I would say the EGR valve is fine as if it was sticking, the ECU would pick up the fault and activate limp home mode. "Fault In Fuel Injection"

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
ttt - How do I clean the EGR valve? Just bought a 2.2 on 71. I might be able to get the dealer to have a look although it would be good to do it myself if possible. I could then check back a couple days later for any leaks to check the turbo health, is what I am thinking.

Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did mine this morning! after some advice from bigshow.

It took about 1 1/2 hours to complete the task (about £20,000,000) if you take it to the dealer.

First thing to do is disconnect the battery as you'll be working right above the starter positive terminal.

Take the multi pin connector off, then remove the 3 bolts securing the valve with a 10mm spanner/socket and 3" Extension.

Using a flat blade screwdriver as a pry bar on the mounting plate, some slip joint pliers to twist the body and a little bit of determination you can remove the valve.
Mine came out in 2 pieces, the first to come away was the solenoid part, then using the same screwdriver pry out the valve body.

I used WD40 and rag to clean it up, and paid particlar to the valves and seats.

Repacing it is the reverse but if the valve came away in 2 parts you will need to spend a little bit of time getting the crush gasket onto the collets in the mounting holes.

Best of luck, Taffny

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts

It took about 1 1/2 hours to complete the task (about £20,000,000) if you take it to the dealer.

First thing to do is disconnect the battery as you'll be working right above the starter positive terminal.

Take the multi pin connector off, then remove the 3 bolts securing the valve with a 10mm spanner/socket and 3" Extension.

Using a flat blade screwdriver as a pry bar on the mounting plate, some slip joint pliers to twist the body and a little bit of determination you can remove the valve.
Mine came out in 2 pieces, the first to come away was the solenoid part, then using the same screwdriver pry out the valve body.

Repacing it is the reverse but if the valve came away in 2 parts you will need to spend a little bit of time getting the crush gasket onto the collets in the mounting holes.

Best of luck, Taffny
Wow! Cheers Taffny. That might be a bit too involved for me to do in a hurry... do you have the cast iron joint or the new version?

:d

·
Registered
15 Posts
No, not tempted at all as it is a very simple device that would be obvious if it had failed, just a little care taken ensuring the valves and seats were clean.

I didnt find any metalic flakes from the pipe though.

But this didn't cure the fault though.Taffny

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Just had the Haynes manual delivered from Amazon. While they don't connect the turbo failure issue they do say two things:

*the oil should be changed every 9k miles (or 12 months)
*the egr should be periodically cleaned

Are either of those two in the renault service schedule?

I think i'm right in saying the yellow ots scheme is 5 years and 90,000 miles right? Well she'll be 5 in October 07 and is currently on 71k. So, I've got a lot of miles lined up this June so after that and before October I'll get the EGR looked at - if I don't do it myself - and change the oil. Basically I'll get it checked before it goes in the renault-washes-hands-of zone.

I'll get a photo of the EGR before cleaning/replacement. If its not gunked then from then on I *think* it should just be a foopin bargain, given regular oil changes at 9k and EGR checks with the next couple of services. Probably won't keep it much more than 40k.....

:d :d :d

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Wow! Cheers Taffny. That might be a bit too involved for me to do in a hurry... do you have the cast iron joint or the new version?

:d
Hey I'm aware this is late.
I don't know for sure :confused: but I think the cast iron bend and pipe's on the 2.2dCi were the subject of a recall, don't quote me tho. I know mine was changed after 16,000 M

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: Laguna II 2.2 dCi EGR Valve WHERE IS IT?

Thanks,but where is the dam thing on my 54 2.2 dci inialle please?

Best of luck, Taffny

·
Registered
7 Posts
The EGR valve need to cleen occasionaly . you dont need speccific tools by Renault . remove EGR valve and cleenas whit petrol . The axes need to move very very easy. After that you need to recalibrate EGR whit clip tester or DTT interface .Sorry i do not know too well to write !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks Victor my friend,it is going in to the garage to have one fitted on saturday,i bought 1 off ebay for £90 rather than £230 dealer price.
regards
jak

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
The EGR valve need to cleen occasionaly . you dont need speccific tools by Renault . remove EGR valve and cleenas whit petrol . The axes need to move very very easy. After that you need to recalibrate EGR whit clip tester or DTT interface .Sorry i do not know too well to write !
If you're just cleaning the egr it doesn't need recalibration, the older ones don't at least, just refit.

A good tip for cleaning the plunger is use cable ties to hold the plunger open :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts