Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post, great site for info.

I have an amateur radio which draws 20 amps of current so I need to wire it directly to the battery for maximum power and not to blow any fuses etc.

The problem is where to get access through the baulkhead to get the wires through to the battery safely. I've had the glove box out to have a look but there is so much sound proofing etc. it is difficult to see where one can go.

The car in question is a 2002 Laguna II Privilege 1.9dCI so you know how little space is under the bonnet for routing cable from the passenger compartment.

Thanks,
Ray.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
20 amps will flatten the battery in no time. You will still need to put an inline fuse in place.
The batteries fitted to modern cars are high capacity but usually only just man enough for the job - to keep weight down.
You will be putting a lot of extra drain on your cars battery. Also if it is more than 3yrs old it probably wont cope running the car & the radio. You would need to buy a new battery.

Sorry to sound so negative, just hope you have taken all of this into consideration. I would hate for you to fit the radio only to end up ruining the cars electrics/battery.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
It should be okay as long as the engine's running. Straight to battery positive is still the best place to hook up, even if you're really planning on running stuff off the alternator rather than the battery.

Just a thought, but if your car doesn't have electric/heated seats, then I think the permanent live feed for those is rated at 20 amps in the internal fuse box. You could use my favourite trick of nibbling the corner off a blown fuse with a pair of snips, soldering your feed wire onto the exposed part of the blade, and just plugging the modified fuse into the fuse box. Don't forget that the modified fuse no longer operates as a fuse, so you'll need an in-line fuse in your supply wire too.

I've only tried this trick with full sized blade fuses. The mini blades on the Lag might make it a bit more awkward, though I think it should still be possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies folks, i didn't expect anyone to reply to this but I was proven wrong, I will give serious thought to your suggestions. Maybe try one or two.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took out the grommet for the bonnet release cable, passed the cable through, and after a bit of jiggling about, I was able to grasp the cable and hook it up to the battery.

Many thanks folks, worked a treat!!

Just hope it is not too much a drain on the battery though.

:) :) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts