·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello
i need to change my front disks on my laguna as they are worn
(lip on edge of disks)
ive been to my local motor factors and they have told me that there are 2 sizes
does anyone know what size the disks are ??????
(mines a 2002 sport tourer)1800cc

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi sorry i do not know just measure them and hay presto that really pisses me of when you go to a motor factors and they say theres more than one after you giving them the year of car,cc,licence plate No, is it not there jod to know what it needs but the bottom line is they do not:crazy: Doh sorry had to get that of may chessed

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Hi,

This gets on my wick too, I was changing pads and discs on the mother-in-laws megane, phoned the motor factor to get prices and order parts, after going through make, model, year engine size, what I had for breakfast etc he still couldn't give me a definate. Basicly said renault use 3 different types of brakes on their cars and basicly a lucky dip as to which ones you get. In the end I had to go down there with the old discs and pads and match them with the 3 sets he had. Lucky it wasn't my car as I would've had to catch the bus or blag a lift!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I cant measure my brake discs DOH!

Why blame the poor motor factor - he does'nt know what brakes have been fitted by renault. I have no doubt he wished they were all the same - then he/she wouldn't have to stock all the variations but given the kind guys and gals they are they tend to stock many variations and still put with having to deal with difficult customers (Oh I can't use a tape measure DOH) - Blah blah, blah:rofl: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Hi madnoel,

I see your point, we shouldn't really be taking this out on the poor motor factor at the end of the day they are there to help! It is just frustrating for us DIYers who have to find a way getting there after stirpping the car to show them the part we need. Lucky the motor factor I use I have been going ther e for a while so he kinda knows me, we just had a bit of banter and ended up having a laugh over the whole thing. I guess we should be blaming Renault for this, they make the DIY mechanics life hard enough as it is without giving us a lucky dip for parts!!!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Different brake sizes

Well said Mikey, - it's not just renaults that have this problem - I've seen it on many more makes as well. It's all about availablity and cost at time of manufacture and also at which plant the car is manufactured at. When working at brakes most people don't know they have a problem until they have a look. It's at this stage you should check with the supplier -before you start to strip. If in doubt I measure the disc diameter, thickness and center. (this is were most variations occur). I then pop out one brake pad plonk it down on a piece of paper and draw round it (that way I can match it up to the suppliers catalog) Saves a load of hassle and the job usually gets done quicker. I am fortunate as over the years I have bulit up a good rapport with my local motor factors (I buy them a case of beer at Xmas time) and if there is any doubt they let me take a few types just in case and I'm trusted to return the unused item by the next working day. Good manners and keeping your cool pays off in the end.:)

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
hi,

Cannot remember offhand the exact sizes (somewhere around 285 m/m dia.)
But i can tell you this for a fact ... if there are two sizes the larger one is for the V6 only . I know because i had them done. ;)

chakota :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the replys :)
i will get round to measure them this weekend lol
apparently the two sizes are 285mm & 300mm
i got quoted £9.00 each for 285mm
& £11.00 each for 300mm(these are both vented)
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
the best advice is to remove one and take it along with you,reno use three different makes of calliper,mine are ATE.if you do a search,you will find out the probs i suffered.

good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts