Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've just aquired a 03 Laguna turbo diesel tourer with a blown turbo. It was towed to a main dealers and they have quoted for a new turbo, intercooler and all the pipes £1700. I have the written quote. Before I replace the turbo and intercooler I was hoping to hear it run. I have churned down two fully charged batteries trying to start her. Is there any reason why this car won't start? I appreciate I can't rev it up but i'm wondering if the main dealer has disconected or immobalized something as the previous owner told me it would start before it went in for a quote. Any advice would be most welcome. Can't wait to get her up and running it's a top of the range Initiale. Thanks in advance. Also a source of reliable Turbos would be useful.Terrylee

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I personally wouldn't risk starting it, if the turbo seals have blown then it could literally run off the oil from the sump until it's burnt the lot, at which point the revs would probably be so high the engine would be well and truly fadged - it's probably been disabled to prevent this exact scenario.

Ask the previous owner what the exact circumstances surrounding it's failure were, if it was catastrophic (as above) then there may be damage to the engine.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Terry - just a thought - why did the previous owners not repair it maybe it was worse than you think.
Caveat Emptor (buyer beware)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help. I'm pleased to say I removed the turbo today and found the oil seals were blown. I have a replacement turbo with 12 month warranty. The warranty was only valid on condition I replace the oil feed pipe and get the car put on analysis before starting. Analysis showed Air Mass device failed hence the non starting. Aparantly these cars are so prone to this problem if it had done 90k instead of 99k it would have paid for in full under the manufacturers warranty. All air pipes and cooler were washed out and tested for leaks. I've only had two answers to this thread and only being a part time mechanic I could have found out more myself! I can't believe given the amount of publicity regarding turbo failure on these cars someone else on this forum hasn't got more knowledge. I thought that was what forums were for. Anyone else with these problems should be aware that the 18k oil change as recommended by Renault is a waste of time and a usual cause for turbo failure. Even using the best full synthetic oil and a genuine oil filter costs nothing compared to a turbo failure and I always change the oil every 6k on my turbo diesel vehicles. I usually run Peugeots but couldn't resist this nice piece of kit. Good luck everyone and sometimes you get lucky!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
......I've only had two answers to this thread and only being a part time mechanic I could have found out more myself! I can't believe given the amount of publicity regarding turbo failure on these cars someone else on this forum hasn't got more knowledge. I thought that was what forums were for.
:confused: You got the answer to the question you asked so what's the problem? You're right, there are plenty of people here with a lot of knowledge in this area, but you weren't making general enquiries about turbo failures, you asked a specific question about why it wouldn't start - even a part-time mech should have been able to answer that for himself. The 'advice' you've given is common knowledge btw, and could have been found if you'd searched the forum yourself - glad to help. :)

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
I have to agree with Schmooster here. The members of this forum post their advice etc in their own time and of their own free will. Whilst most of us will attempt to answer direct questions they need to be just that. A specific question will result in a specific answer. Many of us are occupied attempting to organise the Knowledge base threads so that common questions such as this can be more easily accessed, but as you can imagine there are a lot of threads to sift through and often retitle to ensure that they are accesible and obvious to people. We also have, as mentioned, a search facility and I'm pretty sure this is mentioned in the new members welcome e mail.

We do try our best but we are only human, but with enough knowledgable members on board the workload is more easily shared. I hope you can stick around and share your experiences with your Lag with the rest of the members all input is useful after all.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Terry - glad you got to the root of your problem - and I suggest you check out the intercooler carefully as they are a known weak point at times and will contribute to turbo failure - if it fails any warranty you get with the new turbo will be void.
Regarding your comments regarding the unhelpfulness of this forum I would like to take this opportunity to remind you this forum is not linked in any way whatsoever to Renault officially and is run entirely by volunteers who are prepared to give their time and knowledge for free. If you had done a search of the forum you would have found numerous posts regarding turbo failure, intercoolers and non starting and many comments and advice all for free. Yes Free! In my experience you are more likely to get assistance by being polite and grateful rather than being critical of volunteers who are only too glad to share their views and experience with others.:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fully agree with most of the comments made since my critism of help received. I am new to this type of forum and I know all input is free and volentary and not associated with Renault. One of the reasons I know this is because you don't need to take out another mortgage to join :)
I think I may have been misunderstood a bit though. I was advised by a diesel machanic that the car should run without a turbo on it and that it would be in my interest before laying out a kings ransom on a turbo to find out if the engine was sound or not. Because I could have bought a second hand engine with turbo guaranteed for 6 months from a breakers for £900. As a Turbo was £500 it seemed estute to make sure the engine was worth putting a turbo on. All I needed to know was, did anyone have any tips as to why it may not start. The car came from a very reliable sorce with a written estimate from a Renault main dealer. This estimate only listed a turbo, and gaskets seals etc. Now even I know that Renault would not put in writing that the car only needed a Turbo if the engine was shot. It hadn't run the oil out and it was still up to the full mark on the stick. Presumably and I can't confirm this Renault must have started the engine in order to prove it was OK. I just wondered as has been mentioned if they had disabled the ECU or something. This was not the case and if I had read the quote more clearly I would have seen that there was also a quote for a mass air sensor. This indeed showed up when an independant diagnostics guy turned up to check the new turbo as was required under the warranty.
Anyway alls well that ends well and sorry to have ruffled any feathers but I will say this.... negativeness in any form is not constructive. Always look on the bright side. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best as my old Mum taught me. Above all remember... common knowledge is only common to those who have it!! Regarding me reporting my experiences with my new pride and joy, well I tried that and got told and I quote..."The 'advice' you've given is common knowledge btw" Sorry guys I don't think this is the place for me. Stay safe be happy. Absolutely no offence meant or taken. Terrylee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts