Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought the car. When I power the windows to go down they go quite slowly as if they are sticking/ rubbing against a rubber seal. I suggest this as on the way back up they don't seem to make the noise and are smooth. What is it likely to be?... My suspicion is that the car has sat for a while, or the previous owners used the air-con. Whatever, it doesn't happen on the rear windows and is getting very irritating. Any clues?!

Andrew:crazy:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Fuzba - using the aircon won't make it worse - maybe the previous owners just kept them closed and let the air-con do its work more efficiently. The noise is probably could be attributed to 2 things.
1. The tracks for the glass have become very dry - try pouring some dishwashing liquid down the tracks or better still silicon spray. Wind the windows up and down a few times and see what happens.
2. The winding cables in the window mechanism have become dry or possibly corroded - you'll need to strip the door to lubricat ewith spray grease.
If it's internal and is not treated the mechanism will eventually fail and you'll end up having to spend plenty of money. A little bit of effort now could save you pounds a plenty.:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree, the cables are probably very dry. Grease them as they have a tendency to snap.

·
Registered
87 Posts
yep my front windows made same noise for a few months before th cable snapped on my drivers window, get the door covers off and grease the cables and runners or your's will do same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Laguna does exactly the same - frightened the life out the lady at the M6 toll yesterday!!

I will get the grease out at the weekend - I am new to this forum and it's great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts