Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My first post - so go easy on me! :)

I have an 04 plate Laguna II 1.9dCi Privilage. It's just had it's very first MOT, which it's failed die to excessive play in the near side track rod end ball joint and the fact the headlights (in the words of the MOT inspector) are 'wrong'

Apparently, when they're dipped, the dipping to the wrong side - so he believes that I've got euro spec ones fitted.

Is this a known issue with Lagunas? Did they accidently fit the wrong headlights to a run of cars, or is it as simple as there's a switch on the back of the lamp to flick the dip angle for driving on the continent? I've got it booked in to the local dealer for the track rod, and they're going to look at the lights - but I want to get some facts before I go. You know what dealers are like. :rolleyes:

They're Bi-Xenons, by the way.

Thanks in advance,

Jason.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Oldone - have you had the car from new - if not it's possible someone has replaced the lamps with the wrong type or had in a long-term holiday to France, etc.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No - haven't had the car from new, so it's a possibility someone's changed the lights over...

But there's no sign of any GB stickers on the car. I know that really doesn't mean a lot but hmmm. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Is the car an import? That may explain it, they forgot to fit UK headlights.
Never heard of this problem before. If the beam height was incorrect I could understand that, but that is adjustable.
Unfortunately there isn't an adjustment leaver on the back to alter the alignment. As far as I know the only Renault model with Xenon headlights with that feature is the Espace.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Greatone - was only joking about the trip to France,etc. I am not sure if there are different bulbs never mind different headlamps. If the lamps where replaced there is pretty good chance they're not renault originals. Have a look at the link below and see if there is a branch close to you as I find these people usually very helpful.:)

GSF Car Parts, cheap car parts direct to you

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Did you resolve this problem:confused: .

Forgive me if I am wrong but I seem to recall someone else on the forum that had a similar problem and it was due to the fact that someone had previously changed the bulbs and forced them in upside down:crazy: . Don't know if this would be the problem:confused: .

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Headlights

Did you resolve this problem:confused: .

Forgive me if I am wrong but I seem to recall someone else on the forum that had a similar problem and it was due to the fact that someone had previously changed the bulbs and forced them in upside down:crazy: . Don't know if this would be the problem:confused: .
This would make more sense than the car being an import. Surely if it was an import the steering wheel would be on the "wrong" side.

An alternative may be that it has been in a front end collision and second hand headlamps used to repair which came from an import.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If I was you, I'd take it to another garage for a second opinion. There's good and bad news on this front. If they do turn out to be the wrong side ones, you will almost certainly be able to flog them on the French or German eBays. This will help to pay for the new ones if needed. Secondly, you may be able to get some good 'right' ones from a breaker. Try Cit-Ren on eBay shops or Maxum (another breaker through eBay on 01254 386661 and ask for Lily) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry - I forgot to give an update on this.

I took it back to the local dealership, for them to look at it. They agreed that they where the wrong headlights, but then proceeded to tell me that I'd have to pay for them (£400+ ! :crazy: )

They said that it should have been picked up on it's 30 day inspection from new, and that as it hadn't had it's 30 day inspection, the onus was on me. I pointed out that I was the second owner, so I couldn't have taken it in for a 30 day inspection. The car was two years old at the point I became the owner.

Then they tried the tack of saying that they wouldn't pay for them as they hadn't supplied the car from new. I suggested that they look up who did supply the car, as Renault must keep track of VIN numbers, and then cross charge to them.

Then they tried to wheedle out of it by saying that it may have had a front end smash. I asked to be shown evidence of accident repair on the car.

So it whent on, until I got fed up of talking with the blond bimbette on the service desk and asked to see the customer service manager. :steam:

I go through all the rigmorole of explaing the situation to her, and she simply says her hands are tied. But she puts me onto to Renault UK National Customer Care.

I explain the situation again, and the chap on the other end of the phone is very appolgetic, and says that Renault UK will pick up the bill. Brilliant. He sorts stuff out with the dealer, and the car is booked in to have the lights swapped the next day. :d

That should have been the end of it, but the bunglers at the service center managed to order in non Xenon headlights. So the car was returned with no work done at the end of the day. :rolleyes:

So the car went in again the day after that, and finally they sorted it all out. Went straight to the MOT center after that, and she passed with flying colours.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Vass20 is defunct/redundant. Long live GreatOldOne!!! Who needs Vass20 anyway?

Well done GreatOldOne... and can I possibly add "Wise" to your qualities?

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Steady on... Wisdom? Me? :rofl:

Thanks for the congrats. :)
ye wuz wise enough to not let them pickle you and that is right up Vass's street. Well done again, me thinks! Stick around and tell others how it's done buddy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a Laguna on an 02 plate and the car had a similar issue. My brother in law had the car before me and from new. On the first MOT it failed as one of the head lights was a euro one and the other a Uk one.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Well done The Great Old Wise One.

You ground them into the dust!!!!!!!

Give them one of these :moonie:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts