Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been trying to change the front pads on my Laguna II, and I've come to a halt in the process thanks to the lack of information in the Haynes Manual - can any of you help please?

When removing the caliper, I have to remove the two guide bolts from the back of the caliper, and I can't work out what kind of tool I use to do the job. I think they're allen bolts, but not sure what size to use, and as none of the allen keys I have fit them, I've had to put everything back and call time on the job while I seek advice.

So, what tool do I need, and where do I get it from? Please don't tell me that I'm going to have to buy Renault Caliper Guide Bolt Removal Tool number 16762, or something else equally obscure :)

Cheers

Gareth

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
HI Gareth - sorry I don't the size you are looking for either - but any good motor factors should be able to sell you one and they will most likely be able to tell you the appropriate size - remember these bolts can be very tight and should have locking adhesive applied to the threads when being put back in.:)

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
You should'nt need a special tool! All I used was a spanner... 13mm I think (was a while back!).
The caliper slides off the pads and then it's just a case of pushing the piston back and putting the new pads in.

The pads I bought (made by Lucas) came with replacement bolts making it easy to check the size of spanner needed.

If your close to my neck of the woods and don't mind waiting till next weekend, then I'll gladly give you a hand!

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It sounds like your trying to remove the caliper and it's carrier together....the caliper is removed seperately,so follow Matts advice and you'll be OK.:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info and advice folks. And Matt, thanks for the offer, but now I know I can ignore that stage in the obviously over-thorough Haynes Manual, I'll be fine.

Glad it's going to be a nice day tomorrow, looks like I can get out in the sun and start swearing at the car again!

Gareth

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Thanks for all the info and advice folks. And Matt, thanks for the offer, but now I know I can ignore that stage in the obviously over-thorough Haynes Manual, I'll be fine.

Glad it's going to be a nice day tomorrow, looks like I can get out in the sun and start swearing at the car again!

Gareth

Glad to help :)

Should'nt take you long! Takes longer to jack the car up and remove the wheel than it does to change the pads :d

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Could they be "Torx" bolts?I had a problem changing the air filter on my wifes Lad1 Ph 2 and tried to be clever and used small allen keys,two of which I promptly lost down the back of the engine bay-and they never appeared out on the garage floor!When I finally got the screws out I realised that I needed a small "torx"driver which when purchased did the job in double quick time and was obviously very easy.It occurred to me that Jaques Renault being French would not use standard fasteners for anything on his cars!

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
The picture posted by Hondo definitely are the "Torx"type I mean,and I have now found them to be indispensable,but will that be the answer that matt_dci is looking for?The Haynes manual I have for a Lag Mk1 refers to "unscrewing the upper caliper guide pin bolts (which must be discarded and replaced with a new one) using a suitable SPANNER".I should apologise if I have taken us down a blind alley-Sorry!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jsrwill98 - I don't think that they are torx bolts, I ended up sticking a small mirror on a stick behind the disc to see what they were, and they just look hollow to me. I think they're allen bolts though, but as I don't have to take them out anyway, I'm not going to worry about them!

@Hondo - Yup - that's a torx - v. familiar with those after getting the dash out one weekend! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
make sure you have the right size pads,there is only a slight differance between the three sizes that renault use,if the wrong size is used the calliper will scrape the inner wheel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Moring all...just.

To remove the pad part of the caliper, remove the anti rattle clip at the front using pliers. then pop the dust caps off the slider, and you need a 7mm allen key to undo the bolts, I'm lucky enough to have an old vauxhall tool that does the job,wasn't dear got from a factors a few years ago, did my lagII a few weeks ago.

Best of luck

Murchin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Moring all...just.

To remove the pad part of the caliper, remove the anti rattle clip at the front using pliers. then pop the dust caps off the slider, and you need a 7mm allen key to undo the bolts, I'm lucky enough to have an old vauxhall tool that does the job,wasn't dear got from a factors a few years ago, did my lagII a few weeks ago.

Best of luck

Murchin.
Thanks - I found this post this morning, and luckily I'd got the wife's car out of the garage before I started work on mine in the driveway! Local car bits shop is a mile away.

The first set took an hour and a half, including traveling time, and the second set took half an hour. The hardest bit is getting that *(^*&*&V clip back on at the end!

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Glad you got it sorted :)

Think it only took me about 1hr to do both sides, 20 mins of that was struggling with the clips! :rofl:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts