Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My handbrake went wrong last week needing a full pull up to engage .Was asking around if it was a regular problem and was alarmed to hear that a lot of them were due to caliper problems?? Took the car to my usual garage who is an ex Renualt mechanic and he said that he had heard the same thing!!! Any way turns out that the cable had come loose at the handbrake lever prompting my mechanic to have suspicions that Renault might have been ripping people off saying they needed new calipers when it was a simple as this to fix. Any one had any problems with that?????

·
Registered
74 Posts
Had the same when my car went in for the rear bushes done under warranty, First thing I checked was the rear calipers as I had heard here of the so called problem of seizing, Found the handbrake cable to be disconnected under the armrest and reconnected it myself.
Makes you think if they are doing this sort of thing to make money, Normally do all my own work as I don't trust these so called technicians, IMO many of them know nothing :steam:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I noticed the same problem some time ago. Took the car in for new rear discs and the guy said the cable was off so he reconnected while there. A few days later it was off again so i put it back on and adjusted it. upon later inspection the lever on the N/S caliper had seized solid. A few taps in and out with a hammer and some WD40 has cured it for a while but ideally it needs a new caliper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I drive a 2001 Laguna Expression hatchback and am having similar problems with rear brakes. Calipers seem to be partly seized as only part of the disk is being used when braking as the other part of the disk is rusted and pitted. Does anybody have any idea how much it is going to cost me to have new disks and pads fitted to the back and will this solve the problem or will it recur?

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Rear Calipers

In my experience once calipers seize its exyremely difficult to free them without completely or partailly dismantling them. After seizing you usually find the discs have suffered brake efficiency is drastically reduced. The reduction in efficiency happens wery slowly over a period of time and therefore is generally not noticed. When replacing any brake components it is essential what you do to one side you should also do the other - otherwise serious imbalance can occur and the vehicle can become very unstable when braking. In other words you end up doing ground loops with loss of control. Even though ABS may compensate it is no guarantee you'l not end up in bother as the ABS system is designed to function with efficient and evenly balanced brakes. In other words is assumes you wil have maintained the system correctly. Also depending on the car the handbrake will also be affected - remember you will never get two chances at trying to stop in an emergency. Additionally the vehicle will probably fail its MOT. I appreciate replacementof calipers and discs can be expensive but what is the alternative. The most economic way out is to buy the parts yourself from a reputable motor factor fit them yourself or find a good local garage who don't charge and arm and a leg. Once fixed properly you will be surprised at the difference.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When the handbrake cable comes out of the compensator under the handbrake it is because one of the calipers has broken internally, not seized.

It does not do any good putting the cable back in. The only cure is a new caliper, about £340 fitted by renault.

See my post and others here...........

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/laguna/2042-renault-laguna-ii-phase-1-wheels-tyres-seized-rear-brake-calipers.html?highlight=laguna+broken+caliper
Not in my case, The handbrake was fine before it went in and wasn't when it came back.
The muppets, sorry technicians must have known of a problem as the handbrake lever was so loose that I nearly pulled it through the roof when I first used it :steam:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts