Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Ive seen several references to heater control panel illumination problems on this site although not the problem with my car but semi related. The control knobs are inoperative, thus no control on air temp / direction & also the air con has never worked since owning the car. The system is NOT climate control, just standasrd one. Please could anybody advise me on how to remove this part as I would like to investigate and fix the fault. Great site and lots of good advice offered, please keep it up and any help would be appriciated, Kind regards John.:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
What causes the problem:
The Heater fan becomes gunned up with old leaves dust and damp and begins to slow.
The heater resistor packs in so the heater only works on 4.
The control panel overheats and the wire cable connector melts.

Fix:
Check fuse, second row fuse 4 I think, if OK
Remove Blower motor , clean and oil, several posts on this takes around 15 min:
Then remove card reader and radio( check you have code) and surround.
2 torx bolts hold the heater panel in, undo manoeuvre it out. check the 3 brown and two purple wire connector on the right for burning, if its burnt the whole unit is usually goosed as well.
If not check both control cables are connected (look like bike brake cables on simple idiot locks to connect ) unclip grey and brown plastic clips cables rotate 90 and they slide off
If it is burned : source a panel from a scarp car, cut the 3 brown and 2 purple plug off at the same time as far as you can reach, rejoin the new plug in exact order, then connect the grey then brown control cables but then fasten the clips once they are both on, fit the centre multi plug and your new wiring and small plug.
Test unit, if it works on all 4 re-fit, if it only works on 4, replace the heater resistor pack, again many threads on this, if it does not work at all, suspect the blower motor.

I did this, the garage quote was £575 + vat
Parts from scrapyard panel, resistor pack £45, time to fit 1 hour including cleaning blower motor.
Hardest bit of job, laying on your back in the foot well

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Very interesting post but how does the heater motor get gummed up with leaves and dust etc., Surely the cabin filter should trap such incoming gunge before it gets that far.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very interesting post but how does the heater motor get gummed up with leaves and dust etc., Surely the cabin filter should trap such incoming gunge before it gets that far.:)
Answer that and half the forum will bow...I even found 2 dead wasps, despite the pollen filter been A1

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Answer that and half the forum will bow...I even found 2 dead wasps, despite the pollen filter been A1
I can understand insects falling into the interior heating ducts and ending up around the heater motor but have you actually found leaf debris?

I know the heater motor relies on a good incoming air-flow to keep it cool and I know of no other way air can get in from the outside of the car but via the cabin filter - that's assuming the filter hasn't been removed or torn, or inserted incorrectly. It is possible to misfit them and also the wrong way round.:)

Edit:- There may a remote possibilty the debris has been sucked into the motor fan from inside the car of the heating system was regularly set to re-circulate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What causes the problem:
The Heater fan becomes gunned up with old leaves dust and damp and begins to slow.
The heater resistor packs in so the heater only works on 4.
The control panel overheats and the wire cable connector melts.

Fix:
Check fuse, second row fuse 4 I think, if OK
Remove Blower motor , clean and oil, several posts on this takes around 15 min:
Then remove card reader and radio( check you have code) and surround.
2 torx bolts hold the heater panel in, undo manoeuvre it out. check the 3 brown and two purple wire connector on the right for burning, if its burnt the whole unit is usually goosed as well.
If not check both control cables are connected (look like bike brake cables on simple idiot locks to connect ) unclip grey and brown plastic clips cables rotate 90 and they slide off
If it is burned : source a panel from a scarp car, cut the 3 brown and 2 purple plug off at the same time as far as you can reach, rejoin the new plug in exact order, then connect the grey then brown control cables but then fasten the clips once they are both on, fit the centre multi plug and your new wiring and small plug.
Test unit, if it works on all 4 re-fit, if it only works on 4, replace the heater resistor pack, again many threads on this, if it does not work at all, suspect the blower motor.

I did this, the garage quote was £575 + vat
Parts from scrapyard panel, resistor pack £45, time to fit 1 hour including cleaning blower motor.
Hardest bit of job, laying on your back in the foot well
how do you manoeuvre out? i have a 03 diamonique standard fan controls can't see how you get it out, need to replace mine as the fan switch has had it

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
how do you manoeuvre out? i have a 03 diamonique standard fan controls can't see how you get it out, need to replace mine as the fan switch has had it
After taking out the two torx screws, pull the lower edge forward a short way (about an inch) drop the unit down about 1/4" (to release top lugs) and then rotate top edge forward until you can see and release the rear connectors.
Release those, and then rotate and pull out to gain access to the bowden heater cables.

I don't remember clearly, do the light holders fit into the back of the whole unit; so reach the stage where the power leads are disconnected, and you can then swap out the bulbs. (Can anyone confirm this memory?)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi, can you tell me or even show me a pic on how the bowden cables go back on the heater control panel, I forgot to take a pic before removing them and i can't remember which way or how they go.Renault Laguna 1.9dci 52. I have searched high and low but nothing to show me how to remove or replace these cables. The Haynes doesn't show in great detail the two cables, one has a grey clip and the other has a brown clip, for the life of me i can't remember how they go back. Please any help is really appreciated. Does the brown clip and cable connect to right and the grey the left?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,063 Posts
Found this picture....hope it helps.

Cheers.

Attachments

Reactions: kenny-bobby

·
Registered
87 Posts
TTT. Thanks again for your help. The photo is exactly what I needed. I'll let you all know how I get on later. Going to try to reace the heater control panel.

·
Registered
87 Posts
TTT, can you tell me when replacing the cables do the knobs have to be placed at anti clockwise position or clockwise position? Thanks again for your help.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,063 Posts
No idea mate....my car has the climate control thing.....I found that picture on the net.

As long as the cable is hooked in with a little tension on it I can't see why it would matter.

Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts