Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting fed up for the last time of putting my keycard down and not remembering where I put it, has anyone managed, or got any ideas, to get the keycard itself "modified" to fit on a set of keys/key-ring without actually damaging the card itself??

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Both I and my neighbour have drilled a small hole in the corner of the emergency key and attached a small key ring - bright yellow mine was until my insurer reminded me that as long as I had their key tag attached it was insured for loss. Just make sure it ain't too heavy as any extra weight may effect its use in the keycard slot. Another mate of mine who tinkers around in boats most weekends has attached a cork float to his keycard.

See attached link

http://www.boatandmarinesafety.co.uk/cork-floating-key-ring-5099-350-p.asp

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Dave - Cheers. I'll have a look at that

@ madnoel - I was thinking of drilling through the emergency key but wasn't sure how far up the actual metal of the key itself travels up or if it would do any damage to the key/keycard itself

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Take the emergency key out of the keycard and drill a hole in the corner furthest from the metal blade and you'll find that part is only plastic.
I do beleive Renault supply a clip-on keyring holder but I don't know how secure they are.

See attached link for good old fleabay.:)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-KEYCARD-KEY-RING-CLIP-HOLDER-FOB-KEY-CARD_W0QQitemZ200452461995QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100322?IMSfp=TL100322174003r11183
In my experience, these clip holders last for a few months before the plastic cracks and they fall to pieces. If the seller will combine postage, then I'd buy several. I used to buy 2 or 3 whenever I took the car in for service.

The Phase II keycard has a hole in the corner specifically for a keyring, but the plastic isn't really up to the job and I found that it wore through and snapped off after a couple of years. I'd be more inclined to just keep buying the clip holders.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
i did mine just after i bought the car, only done one so far.
and i still need to araldite the gap between the outer bits of case up, but no problems so far.
the renault option belt clip-on was a bit rubbish tbh.

sorry, just realised that the promo-mousemat on my desk i took that pic against might not go down well with the admin (and no i dont work there!!!) :eek:
pic re-done on differnt bit of desk:rofl:

3rd time lucky, cheers pat

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,650 Posts
In my experience, these clip holders last for a few months before the plastic cracks and they fall to pieces. If the seller will combine postage, then I'd buy several. I used to buy 2 or 3 whenever I took the car in for service.
Thats was my experience too Horatio, they didnt last too long. I think last time I bought them I bought a few too. Probably got one in a cupboard somewhere :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
after getting fed up for the last time of putting my keycard down and not remembering where i put it, has anyone managed, or got any ideas, to get the keycard itself "modified" to fit on a set of keys/key-ring without actually damaging the card itself??
i would like to get a new card key for my luguna

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
hi WHYNE welcome to the forums

sorry but its basically back to the dealership, as you have read they are basically special order from france pre-coded to your chassis number, did you lose one? you may be covered under your insurance policy for lost keys ;)

do you keep loosing yours ?
drilling the hole where i did mine is safe, do a search on the site, you should find an exploded internal view of the fob cards and can then see where it is safe to drill through the casing so you can fit a keyring through it.
you can always pick up a second-hand card from a breakers yard for use as casing spares if yours breaks and then transfer the PCB to the new case and reglue it back together.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was thinking of slicing a grove in the side of my card to glue a small washer inside and then drilling through the key card, through the washer and out the other side of the card. This should make it secure enough to hold a keyring.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
you should be fine just drilling though at the same spot as i did, unless you have a 3 button fob (pcb might be longer, but you need to check)
with mine i just used a small screwdriver and ground it through the fob.(after checking how far the PCB went)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've drilled the hole and all seems fine but it does seem a little weak. The other thing I'm a bit worried about is the weight of the keys on the card reader, although my keys don't weigh alot but it's still extra weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts