Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just ordered the CK3100 from Amazon, and will be fitting it this week sometime? Does anyone know if the fitting is straightforward to a Laguna Estate with the Cabasse system in it, and a CD changer in the boot?

The reason I ask is that the Parrot website - a French manufacturer, lists fitting instructuions for the Laguna which specifically exclude the Cabasse stereo.

Oh, and where are my ISO plugs? Are they they ones which are on the back of the stereo (the ones which are all in use?)

Cheers

Gareth

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
If the CD changer is in the boot, then you shouldn't have a problem. The TomTom Permanent Docking Kit intercepts the ISOs in exactly the same way as the Parrot kit does, and I know from fitting one that the ISO's are on the back of the head unit where you'd expect them to be.

The problem units have the in-dash changer. The amp is where your CD changer is, and so the ISO connectors are at the back of the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooooh - it almost sounds too good to be true! An easy job on a Renault?

And it even involves the electrical system as well! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Yep. Just read the instructions on the Parrot kit carefully, taking note of the bit about 'reverse polarity' - you need to follow the part of the instructions that correct this, as the Renault ISO's do have permanent and ignition live crossed over. The mute connection should be 'mute 3.' These details are based on installing a CK3000 Evolution in the wife's Clio, but I expect the Laguna is the same.

Wire up and test the kit before fitting it properly. Make sure the stereo still works correctly, using the fader controls to check each speaker individually. If the kit turns out to be a dud, you don't want to have wasted your time threading wires through tight spaces. What's more, if you've scraped or trapped any cables, you may well have voided the warranty on a piece of kit that was already defective.

And you will need your radio code, of course.

Have fun :d

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow - All done, in about three hours!

An hour of that was all the taking everything out, test install and then actually installing everything and hiding it away, and two hours was working out where to put the control unit with the screen!

Curse the lack of available flat surfaces in a Laguna!

·
Diamond dismember
326 Posts
polarity issue on VDA connector too

taking note of the bit about 'reverse polarity' - you need to follow the part of the instructions that correct this, as the Renault ISO's do have permanent and ignition live crossed over.
Um… So "permanent" and "ignition live" are both +12V, and not Ground (-)?
In that case, have they been swapped around in the VDA connector as well? If so, I've got some adapter harness rewiring to do.

The reason I'm asking: My Sony Ericsson HCB-700 works fine when the engine is running, but switches itself off when I turn off the engine,
and I can't switch it on by hand either. I have to turn on the engine to turn on the unit itself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Parrot CK3000 - Laguna - Halfords

Hi Guys, Purchased a Parrot CK3000 from Halfords the other day, included was the install... after an hour or so we started teh car up and dash display lights lit up, rev counter and speedo went funny, halfords guy looked shocked,:crazy: checked all cables, still o good, went into store to contcat someone, came back still no good. Took system out and resotred to normal, still no good, then he went back to store and after 20mins came out, started to take all fuses out 1 by 1 (from the driver side fuse panel), he turned the car on each time he took a fuse out and put it back in, when he vame to the interior power supply fuse things became normal again. Halfords guy abandoned the woprk and said I better speak with reno direct, do you have any ideas what was going on, :confused:any help appreciated. Cheers, by the way how do I find out what type of stereo I have, whats a cabasse??

·
Diamond dismember
326 Posts
Um… So "permanent" and "ignition live" are both +12V, and not Ground (-)?
In that case, have they been swapped around in the VDA connector as well? If so, I've got some adapter harness rewiring to do.
Turned out I didn't need to rewire the harness, as the polarity was what it was supposed to be there (which I concluded with after measuring my way with a multimeter.

Normally, "reverse polarity" means switching plus and minus, but here it means switching plus and… uh… plus.
So it's the ignition live and the permanent we're talking about, yes.

My Sony Ericsson HCB-700 works fine when the engine is running, but switches itself off when I turn off the engine, and I can't switch it on by hand either. I have to turn on the engine to turn on the unit itself.
I had another read through the manual, and it turns out that this is normal behavior, according to Sony Ericsson.
The hands free kit switches itself off when I switch off the ignition, as long as there's no ongoing call.
If there is an ongoing call when I switch the ignition off, it waits until I end the call before it switches itself off.
Clever, but no cigar, as I can't switch it on without inserting the keycard again.

That said, I'm considering replacing the HCB-700 and my Connects2 iPod adapter with a Parrot MKi9200, as the HCB-700 uses a different Bluetooth profile for syncing contacts than the iPhone (and the MKi9200 supports direct access to the iPhone music library).

·
Diamond dismember
326 Posts
after an hour or so we started teh car up and dash display lights lit up, rev counter and speedo went funny
Assuming your 'guna is a generation II or III model, I suspect that the wiring work might have inadvertently put the dash clock cluster into self test mode.

If you want to confirm that this is what happened, here's how you normally invoke the test mode:
1. Push the trip computer button (at the end of the wiper stalk), and keep it depressed.
2. Insert the keycard into the reader.
3. Once you see the needles of the tach and speedo move, let go of the trip computer button.

If you now get the exact same behavior from the dash clocks as you did at Halfords, then my suspicions were right.
Remove the keycard again to exit this test mode, and resume normal behavior.

Take not of whether the Halfords technician used a VDA adapter to connect the kit, or whether it was a standard wiring kit that normally comes with these fixed handsfree kits.
Lagunas from 2003 on usually have a VDA connector available for hands free kits, hidden inside the centre console, next to the handbrake lever.
I highly recommend using a VDA adapter harness if you have the connector.
Getting to it is quite easy, as it's only a matter of undoing the gaiters for the handbrake and gear levers, and pulling the plastic top casing off, as it's fitted by way of snap fixtures,
which snap back into place when you push the panels back on.

When Horatio refers to "reverse polarity", remember it's not plus and minus that are reversed, but two different plusses, as I tried to explain in an earlier post:
one permanent, and one that comes on with the ignition.
You can easily find out which one's which with a multimeter, even the cheap ones you get for a fiver at electronic hobbyist shops.

by the way how do I find out what type of stereo I have, whats a cabasse??
If the radio was supplied by Renault, there would be a model name on the front.

Some common Renault stereo names:
  • Tuner List (made by VDO Dayton)
  • Update List (made by VDO Dayton)
  • Cabasse Auditorium (made by Cabasse)
  • Cabasse Tronic (made by Cabasse)
  • Radiosat (made by Philips)
Cabasse is a high-end loudspeaker manufacturer, based in the northwest of France.
They're currently owned by Canon, as far as I could figure out.

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,253 Posts
heres a hint

dont ever start hacking the wiring of a laguna2 up EVER!!! (you might end up killing the carbus digital dash/ECU circuit or other mega expensive electrics)

all hands free kits should have a universal adaptor that then plugs into a car specific lead.(seperate part)

laggy2's that are fitted for hands free phones will have the interface lead tucked behind the gear stick, (its the yellow/black connector)

so! no scotch locks or other messy hatchet jobs by H####'s, he was lucky by the way, it could have been a very expensive claim on thier insurance if it had gone wrong and fried the carbus system.
the renault colour coded cables are NOT the same as the bog standard nokia ones!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Assuming your 'guna is a generation II or III model, I suspect that the wiring work might have inadvertently put the dash clock cluster into self test mode....
....If you now get the exact same behavior from the dash clocks as you did at Halfords, then my suspicions were right.
Remove the keycard again to exit this test mode, and resume normal behavior.

Hi Costeau, thanks for such a great reply , tried your suggestion, same behaviour, only difference my "Guna 2" in test mode displayed the software version, from memory inhalfords this did not happen, any how I decided to bite the bullet and have a renault mech (young guy plenty of exp) fit outside hours for the same cost as halfords.
Thanks again, this is a great website...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts