Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2004 Laguna Initiale for a grand total of 3 days and driven it for maybe 2 whole hours in total so far. And I've already got my first problem. And it seems like its a big one.

Went to go out this afternoon, put the key card in the slot as usual, pressed start and instead of the engine starting, I got just a loud clicking noise. Tried it a couple of times but with no success. Sat there confused for a bit and thought it might be the starter motor (bear with me if you're reading this and wondering 'why is he posting this in the Electronics forum'). Seems reasonable as the clicking noise is coming from under the bonnet. BUT - if it was just the starter motor, then surely everything else on the car would still work OK, right? The internal stuff like SatNav, stereo, wing mirror folding etc. right? Well, no, they don't. Several more attempts at starting the car resulted in various different things going on - lots of clicking noises from different parts of the dashboard, lights flashing everywhere, the speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge and temp gauge going up and down in seemingly choreographed steps, and to top it all off, now I can't lock the doors properly, and the alarm goes off every time I open the doors.

Has anyone else had any similar things going on? And if so, what can I do about it? If its to do with the starter, thne obviously I need to replace it but I don't understand why it would affect the rest of the electrics in this way. If it is all an electrical problem, do I need to take it to Renault? Or is there some kind of master reset I can do to sort this out? Have tried replacing the battery in the key card as a first thought but that's not the problem....

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
A flat battery or poor connections will cause the problems you describe. Check the battery terminals are clean and secure. If no better get the battery charged and load tested.

Edit:- Before going any further check the emergency key in the end of the keycard works. If the battery goes totally flat when the car is locked you will need to get access via the front passenger door.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MadNoel - thanks for that. You were spot on. Got the battery charged up and no more probs at all. Replaced the battery yesterday so shouldn't happen again.

Col812 - guess that answers your question too!

As a side note - my wife thought it would be the battery when this first started but I thought not. turn out she was right from the start and I was in the doghouse on Sat night for not going along with what she said. Sorry Mrs B!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.