Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just Purchased A Laguna II 1.8 16v Dynamique, 02, 38000 Miles.

Little Bit Concerned About The Mpg Being Displayed, Have Done 45 Miles On A Full Tank So Far And The Mpg Coming Back At 22mpg!!!!!! Mainly School Run And Town Journeys.

Surely This Cant Be Right!!??

Would Be Grateful If Anyone Could Share Their Wisdom!!

Thanks!!!

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, and welcome.

Fuel consumption (especially for short, stop-start journeys) is always a tricky topic. So many factors can influence MPG - weight carried in the boot, tyre pressures, if the car needs a service, whether or not the engine had a chance to fully warm-up and come off the automatic choke, driving style, etc, etc. It is why all the brochures state that quoted figures are not representative of what you should expect.

How does the car feel to drive? Responsive? Smooth?

If yes, then there is only a small chance that this figure is lower because of any mechanical/electrical issue.

I would suggest brimming the tank - zeroing the trip recorder and computer, then giving the car a steady speed run on the motorway (circa 60-70MPH), then re-fuel (you can then double-check the accuracy of your computer), you should be seeing the high thirties (at least), possibly up to mid-forties. If not, then you need to investigate further.

Its important to check the most obvious (and cheapest) solutions before opening the wallet further.

Hope that helps,

Paul:)

Reactions: SportTourer

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
You need to do several hundred miles before you get a better representation of average mpg. 45 miles of town driving and 22mpg sounds about right - even for a tip top engine recently serviced,correct tyre pressure etc

As long as the car is running well in other respects and as velsatisfied says,tyre pressures etc are all ok, just give it a chance. If you throw in a few reasonable runs and mix it with town driving you should achieve high 30's mpg averaged out over several hundred miles.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Concur with both the above answers, give it a decent chance of averaging out the mpg over at least 200 miles.

I get around 39mpg overall.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
also look at the way you drive the car.i,e harsh accelleration'to high a gear for the speed you are travelling,all adds up on your mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The MPG gauges on Lagunas seem hideously inaccurate anyway. Don't believe them. If you want to accurately work out your MPG, do this:

1. Fill fuel tank right up.
2. Reset trip meter.
3. Next time you fill the tank, fill it right up again and note how much fuel goes in (amount will be printed on VAT receipt) and the current trip meter reading (i.e. mileage since last fuel fillup).
4. Divide the trip reading by the number of litres you put in (e.g. 350/47) and multiply this by 4.54 to give your exact average MPG between fuel stops.

:)

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
This is just an average consumption being displayed, like you said you have only done short journeys, if you were to reset the trip whilst at 60-70 on a dual carriageway/motorway you would notice an mpg of about 40-55, averaged out with town/short journeys after a couple of hundred miles you should see a return of 32+mpg on a 1.8

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi

Thanks all for the advice - i will give the car the benefit of the doubt!! The car runs really well, just been serviced etc.

Was just a bit concerned thats all, as my previous car was a BMW 323 SE and would do around 27mpg urban, so was a bit surprised when the laguna only pulled 22!!

As a new Laguna owner, anything I should look out for with the car, ie common problems, faults etc??

I have read alot of reviews about the reliability of the laguna,and I dont think they do the car justice!! I have to say i am smitten with the car as far as comfort and gadgets go. This is my first Renault.

Thanks for a warm welcome to the site by the way!!!

Regards

Andy

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Good luck with it mate, i have had many renaults(4 lagunas,2 clios and 1 megane) and have had no serios problems.As long as you change the oil and get the cambelt done on time you should be ok, my only opinion with renaults is that they are let down by electrical 'gremilns', but im an eletrical engineer by trade so normally sort myself and use this forum.
I have to agree with you about lagunas too, electric windows,sunroof and mirrors as standard!! how many car manufacturers can claim that???:eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Darth for your advice - The cambelt was done in the 38,000 service I had before I bought the car, so peace of mind on that one!!
I bought the car from a Citroen dealer, it came with a 12 months 'new car 'warranty, so conned them into getting the Cam belt changed, saved me some cash!!
I have to say the MPG has now gone to 27.6, since doing a bit of long journey over the weekend.

So overall a happy man!!

As far as the electrics problem goes, as you sound the right man to aks!!, I have another query!!
When the engine is running and a door is opened, the courtesy light comes on but flickers?? When you the turn the engine off, it is ok.. Possible earth problem??

regards

Andy

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Is it a slow flicker?.I.e every 10 or so seconds the light dims and then brightens?

If so,have you got the aircon on?.It could be the compressor on the aircon pump cutting in and out,which is normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi

the light is illuminated but it is has a permanent flicker. seems to stop when you kill the engine. Then its a solid light.

Both the front and rear courtesy lights do the same.

regards

andy

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
possibly a bad earth, more invest needed, open each door in turn and push the 'button/switch' that turns the light out when the door is closed. maybe indicate a door which may have a broken down or wet switch in it, dont forget to include the boot.
Let us know how you get on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts