Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.9 dCi dynamique, which has front footwell lights, but does not appear to be kitted out for lamps in the rear.
Whilst I could just strap a bulb in the back, under the seat, I don't really want it to cast a shadow, get broken or make anything too hot.
So, please, can anyone who has these lights either explain or photograph the approved location?
Many thanks in advance.
Tolak

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, I have just bought a Laguna II and after reading manual realised I had lights in the front footwells; continued reading suggested that there should be two bulbs under each front seat to illuminate the rear footwells. Further investigation has proved unfruitful...

Could someone point out where they are so I know I'm not being blind?

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Not all models have rear footwell illumination so you car may not just be fitted with them.
As you say they are fitted under the rear of the front seats. A good hunt using a torch and a mirror should reveal if they are fitted or the wiring is there.:)

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Wow! I didn't know that... I fitted leather seats in mine today, and sure enough it now has rear footwell lights.

Reactions: Tolak

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! I didn't know that... I fitted leather seats in mine today, and sure enough it now has rear footwell lights.
Any chance that you can take a picture of the mounting location for the rear footwell lights?
I've hunted many scrap-yard cars, and have not yet managed to find the lamp position. (Always easier if the bulb lights up! )

Haynes doesn't provide harness pinouts, which would be useful, since I find the car harness has all sorts of goodies that are not provided in the car itself (in this case, in the seat harness)

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to Azurael for the pictures and information.
Mounting is on the inner side of the seat (beside the centre console). Pictures are for the right-hand (driver's) seat.
If you feel carefully on a car that is not equipped, you can feel the mounting hole on the flat metal plate, into which this protective cage mount would fit.
The location means there is a bar to prevent passenger feet kicking the light, but the lamp is mounted lower so the bar does not cast a shadow.
And the pin-out at the seat harness connector suggest I should connect the lamp between pins 4 and 18.

Just being a bit cagey about making and breaking a connector for an air-bag system; for once I shall be sure to disconnect the battery. ;)

Sounds like a weekend job!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Apologies for the relative rubbishness of the pics, I couldn't get my D90 under the seat :p

If anybody needs more info or needs any more specific pictures, feel free to ask and I'm sure I can do it or work it out from the wiring diagrams :)

By the way, the pins in the connector are numbered left to right across the banks of pins, not sure if that's the male or female pinout... But the locating pin (bit that's different to the 4 blocks of pins) is on the left. If you PM me your e-mail, I'll send you the diagram (it's a small PDF.)

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If you feel carefully on a car that is not equipped, you can feel the mounting hole on the flat metal plate, into which this protective cage mount would fit.
And the pin-out at the seat harness connector suggest I should connect the lamp between pins 4 and 18.
Sounds like a weekend job!
Simple enough sounding modification.
Went up to the local scrappie, and got two bulb cages, so that nothing can accidentally fall on the bulbs. (Hard to get out from under the seats, since these are fitted to the posh leather electrical seats, and so there is no power to raise the seats up and allow easy access to the bulb holders. Oh, yes, wet carpet and broken glass adds to the entertainment at this point!)
Already had the bulb holders, from previous modifications.
Expected to pop out the seats, check the wiring, and (if lucky) patch the connector to provide the wiring to pins 4 and 18.
Stage 1, pop out the seats; easy job, four nuts from under the car, and one clip for the captive end of the seatbelt.
Stage 2, lift out seat. Check angle of recline, lower the headrest, and it should come out OK. Beware the bolts sticking out the base, which could damage the door seal.
Stage 3, turn over seat (preferably on a protective cover, so you don't get concrete rash on the leather) and realise that the document holder (drawer mounted underneath the front seats) obscures one of the two mounting holes (on both sides), and that the very wonderful and special connector (that allows you to drop the seat down on its bolts, and miraculously makes all of the electrical connections required) is so unusual, I've never seen pins like it, let alone have any in stock.
So, stage 4, is not simply patch in a wiring harness and fitting the bulbs to the cages, but involves quite a bit more.
Mechanical was drilling an additional hole so that the cage fits beside the document holder.
Electrical was similarly simple; run the wires across from the bulb to the connector area, allowing slack for the movement of the seat (back-front and up-down). I put enough spare wire to allow a chocolate block connector that can be pulled out from under the seat, and spliced the wires on the car side into the car harness lines leading to pins 4 and 18, and the other side into the new under-seat wires for the bulbs. If I need to remove the seat again, then I can undo the connector, and the rest is as normal.
Stage 5 is simple; drop seat back into car, putting bolts into holes in the floor. If it doesn't lie flat, check that one rail has not moved whilst the seat was out (easiest to pull the adjustment level, and the seat drops back to flat immediately). Fit and tighten nuts, replace two covers, clip captive end back into seat, and the seat is complete.

And repeat for the driver's seat.
The job in total must have taken an hour and a half, almost all on the first seat, working out what to do, where to find the right size drills, etc. The second seat took less than 20 mins, including extending the wires from the bulb-holders where they had been cut off short.

So the bulbs work OK, and exactly like the front foot-well lights, and provide light to the rear foot-wells, but the document holder casts a shadow. :(
But now I know how to take out the document holders, I might go back to the scrappie, and find out what the difference is for the lamp compatible holders.:eek:
Or accept that the luxury item I have fitted works well enough, and get on with tasks that really affect the operation of the car.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, now I have to clean the rear carpets; any speck of stuff on the carpet is now lit in profile, and stands out.
Just what I was after, but somehow not what I was expecting!

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Hmm, now I have to clean the rear carpets; any speck of stuff on the carpet is now lit in profile, and stands out.
Just what I was after, but somehow not what I was expecting!
Haha, my carpets aren't as dirty as they were when I took those pictures. The wonders of the 18v Dustbuster :d I'm quite convinced it's actually more effective than my full-size upright vacuum...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,

My wife's Merc has footwell lights. Exactly how are they intended to improve our driving experience?

Our feet are usually to be found on the end of our legs, we know where the pedals and floor are located. So what is it that requires illumination?

B.E:think:

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Hi,

My wife's Merc has footwell lights. Exactly how are they intended to improve our driving experience?

Our feet are usually to be found on the end of our legs, we know where the pedals and floor are located. So what is it that requires illumination?

B.E:think:
I figured it was just so people could see how long it's been since you vacuumed the car :eek:

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Personally if I ever get to the point where I need footwell lights I shouldn't be driving.

I had them in my Lag II and my current car hasn't got them and I haven't missed them one little bit - none of my regular passengers even noticed until I asked what they thought. They just gave me a puzzled look.

Now if I was younger with a young lass in the back seat and Meat Loaf was chanting "I can see paradise by the dashboard light" - that would bring a whole (no pun intended) new meaning to curtesy lighting.:crazy::rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
I suspect even the widest angle single LEDs provide too focused a beam for this application, you'd need multi-LED bulbs in the right fitting (pretty sure I've got a few floating around somewhere, I'll give it a go as the footwell lighting doesn't dim like the main interior lights.)

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Place some leds, it wont get hot, so dont worry about firing something up.
I did wonder about using a strip of LEDs (like my boot mod) which might have avoided this lighting/shadow issue. (See photo) But in this case, I thought matching the colour temperatures of the interior lights with the warm tungsten would help with the cosy feel of the interior, and the cold blue of the white LEDs would not suit that.

Personally if I ever get to the point where I need footwell lights I shouldn't be driving.

I had them in my Lag II and my current car hasn't got them and I haven't missed them one little bit - none of my regular passengers even noticed until I asked what they thought. They just gave me a puzzled look.

Now if I was younger with a young lass in the back seat and Meat Loaf was chanting "I can see paradise by the dashboard light" - that would bring a whole (no pun intended) new meaning to courtesy lighting.:crazy::rofl::rofl:
And I decided to fit the lights, not for me (the driver) but for the passenger and elderly friends who have the habit of putting everything in the footwell, and then not being able to find it all at the end of the day.

(And I didn't fancy putting enough storage to cope with all the clutter SWMBO needs on a day out! :forehead: The footwell works very nicely for that.)

And I also get "the look" when I ask about the benefit of this sort of lighting. All I can do is "keep my powder dry" for when she has lost something in her car, and I can comment how nice it would be if the footwells were lit! (I enjoy living dangerously! ;) )

Attachments

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I suspect even the widest angle single LEDs provide too focused a beam for this application, you'd need multi-LED bulbs in the right fitting (pretty sure I've got a few floating around somewhere, I'll give it a go as the footwell lighting doesn't dim like the main interior lights.)
Azurael, I think you'll find the footwell lights do dim as they turn off; it is not a step change in the light levels. Which means you'll get the LEDs trying to stay undimmed until the power is insufficient to keep them lit. (LED dimming is done by pulsing the lamps, not reducing the voltage, as you obviously know.)
But I agree about them not being dimmable under control; the only light in my car I can dim is the front interior light.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
... multi-LED bulbs ... I've got a few floating around somewhere ...
Does this mean that you've tried the LED side lights?
Do they work well? And do they light as far to each side as the original tungsten bulbs do? (In other words, does the limitation of the headlight mask the focus of the LED bulb replacement?)

Just curious...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.