Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard to believe I know but the Sat Nav in my Laguna II is not working. I am getting a Red satellite icon and also next to it is a red disc/wheel icon. I have spoken to renault who have told me to buy a Tom Tom (genius). I do not have a bottomless pit of money but would prefer to have this one work. My main question is this: where does the cable from the fin run ? does it go through the internal rear view mirror ? I would like to check the connection myself as someone has messed in the mirror unit and I am wondering if they have disconnected something

Thanks in advance guys

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
I cant help with the routing of the wire but I think its pretty common for the GPS aerial to fail. The fix is to purchase another GPS aerial from somewhere such as ebay.

Im sure if you do a forum search you will find quite a few threads on the topic which should help you out. :)

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
It's VERY common for the aerial to fail.

I'm not sure about the tracing of the wire, but I just removed the sat nav computer from the glovebox, plugged the new one into the back which now sits on the dash and works perfectly.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
You don't even need to take the unit out of the glove box. Just remove the felt trim from behind the glove box and you can get at the connector.

I replaced the shark fin itself for £25. Search the forums for details.

Do you have a ST or saloon?

Ian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything seems to be connected correctly to the back of the unit. When I re-insert the disc it registers it and will allow me to start a destination search, only prob is it then does nothing when I ask it to start navigation other than showing a spinning hourglass icon. I saw another thread that suggested if I have a red sat icon and a red disc icon that I am screwed but I would still prefer it to work. Does it sound feasible that the unit and the aerial have gone ?

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
The red disc icon appears when the car is not on a mapped road. My disc is green until I go up the driveway, off the mapped road, then it turns red as the car is in an unknown location.

Have a look at the map, your GPS aerial is faulty, so the car will likely be in the middle of nowhere, not on a road, and this is why the red disc is displayed.

·
Premium Member
6,103 Posts
Hi mate a red icon is the usual sign of the ariel wire fractured its a common fault,as suggested get a magnetic unit off e.bay or from www.t-era.co.uk..if you Google matra sport dk cars espace vault 3729A this is a carminat manual for sat nav with trouble shooting guides,hope it helps you like it helped me..

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
The red disc icon appears when the car is not on a mapped road. My disc is green until I go up the driveway, off the mapped road, then it turns red as the car is in an unknown location.

Have a look at the map, your GPS aerial is faulty, so the car will likely be in the middle of nowhere, not on a road, and this is why the red disc is displayed.
My carminat system did the same (red disc) until I bought a disc (ebay), so worth checking it out on the main road. If it is the disc, or lack of, check out ebay or sat-navi - don't go to renault unless you want to part with 200 of your hard earned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.