Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search and read the posts where folks cant open the boot, but I have the opposite, I opened it this morning to put some stuff in the boot and now it wont lock, the glass panel opens and locks but the tail gate wont shut and lock. Nothing fouling the lock mechanism.

Any suggestions before I go to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
On the good old Lag I, it's not uncommon for the striking plate bolts to work loose and eventually detach. The first sign of this (on the hatch at least) is that the boot lid sits slightly proud of the rear wings because the catch goes to maximum adjustment. Ignore that, and eventually the plate drops off and you can't shut the boot.

I don't know if the Lag II suffers from the same problem, but it's certainly worth a look. Even if the striking plate still appears to be in place, it may have worked loose and slipped down so that the boot catch can't quite reach it.

You should be able to test the boot catch mechanism with a screwdriver of roughly the same diameter as the pin on the striking plate. If it's working correctly, then it should grip the screwdriver in the same way as it would grip the pin.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Horatio, I have just been fiddling with a trusty old Biro managed to get the latch mechanism to work then released it with the button and all is now fine.

Panic over.....

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Excellent news. :d

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if these mechanisms are supposed to be greased these days. But if it looks like it is, then I'd add a bit more just in case it develops a habit of doing this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, had the same problem, lock would work most of the time
but failed completely after some time.
I took the lock off which wasnt very hard, gave it a good
squirt of wd40, then worked the lock several times and
had a perfect result. Hope this helps , when you have some spare time it will save u , as the next time it happens u bet it will be raining.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts