Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

We have a Laguna II Sport Tourer (Estate) 52 reg, Expression 2.0i 16v. For the past week we've just started having intermittent problems, where you put the keycard in, all the lights come on as normal, but when you press the start button, nothing happens. Sometimes it can be fine, and works properly, other times you have to hold the button down, most of the time you have to put your foot on the clutch before it will start. Another problem that may or may not be related is that twice now, people have pulled up besides me at traffic lights, rolled down their windows, and told me that my reversing lights are on, even though I’m in first gear. When I get home and look, indeed they are on. I can turn the car off, and back on again, and the lights still come back on.

The only thing that I can think would cause both these problems is a faulty microswitch on the gear stick that is telling the engine that the car is in gear, and so shouldn’t start, this would explain why it does start when you put your foot on the clutch, and also telling the reverse lights to come on.

If this is the problem, how do I go about fixing it? Anyone know where the microswitch is located? In the gearbox? Under the car?

Many thanks in advance

Ben

·
Registered
15 Posts
Change the reverse switch at a cost of £20 + new gearbox oil, I had the same problem and it was the Reverse light switch, when the oil came out it was grey so if the switch didn't pack up then the gearbox would have done so. The car now starts without the need to push the clutch down. If the car things its in gear then it won't start until the clutch is pressed down, another safety feature... The garage was shocked as they thought it was a common thing to press the cluth or brake pedal to get it to start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts