Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I know there's a thread about this but at over 100 pages I wasn't gonna spend a week reading it all!!

Anyway, I took my Lag into my local garage today at rear drivers side tyre had a slow puncture, or so I thought. Turns out the valve is leaking, now rather than spend £30 plus on a new sensor an then have it programmer I was looking at this - http://www.tyresensors.com/product/80/

Sorry can't lazy link via iPhone - my mechanic is hopefully the valve comes apart and the nut can be replaced, hence solving the problem - is this true?

Any help appreciated

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's a 2006 laguna so guess that makes it 5 years old, what's the battery life on them?

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
if you dont want to spend money then start the car and remove the 2nd fuse in the fuse box whilst the car is running!

this cuts the power to the car.
wait 3 minutes and replace fuse start the car and hey presto the car thinks theres a sensor

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With all due respect I'd rather spend some cash an have it fixed then risk screwing my car and my insurance (heard insurance companies an be funny if you've disabled the tpms)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The life expectancy of th ebattery in the tyre sensors is around 5 years or so. Although I have seen much older ones last much longer. Also the valve stem does have a habit of breaking. It may be worth having the existing unit reseated using new selas etc, but in my experience it is rarely a long term fix. Ideally a new valve at a cost of around £30 plus the cost of having it programmed into the system is the best option.

It is possible to have the system disabled but it may be worth contacting your insurers to see what they say.

In my experience removing the fuse trick is a once only fix - the next time the car is started thge problem onlu cimes back or within a few days.:)

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
With all due respect I'd rather spend some cash an have it fixed then risk screwing my car and my insurance (heard insurance companies an be funny if you've disabled the tpms)
Good man - I hate when people just disable these features! Yep, the lifetime is thought to be around 5 years, even though the manufacturers of them say 10.

The fuse trick doesn't work very well, and is only for models without the trip computer and exact pressure readout I think? The lower models only have a little light that blinks if pressure is wrong.

I just had a full set of pressure sensors fitted to the Meg in January. Saved me from being caught out by two slow punctures already :d

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Hi,

I know there's a thread about this but at over 100 pages I wasn't gonna spend a week reading it all!!

Anyway, I took my Lag into my local garage today at rear drivers side tyre had a slow puncture, or so I thought. Turns out the valve is leaking, now rather than spend £30 plus on a new sensor an then have it programmer I was looking at this - http://www.tyresensors.com/product/80/

Sorry can't lazy link via iPhone - my mechanic is hopefully the valve comes apart and the nut can be replaced, hence solving the problem - is this true?

Any help appreciated
My Laguna II is getting on for 9 years old and still has all the original sensors. My offside front was leaking in the same way about a year ago when I had the front tyres changed. The guy at National just fitted a new valve stems and they're fine now.

Ian

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good man - I hate when people just disable these features! Yep, the lifetime is thought to be around 5 years, even though the manufacturers of them say 10.

The fuse trick doesn't work very well, and is only for models without the trip computer and exact pressure readout I think? The lower models only have a little light that blinks if pressure is wrong.

I just had a full set of pressure sensors fitted to the Meg in January. Saved me from being caught out by two slow punctures already :d
Cheers man! It's not like it's going to cost me much to get fixed, I can get a service kit that consist of 10 nuts, gromets, colour coded rings etc for £13 so I'm hoping that fixes it, if not it's about £30 for a new sensor

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Cheers man! It's not like it's going to cost me much to get fixed, I can get a service kit that consist of 10 nuts, gromets, colour coded rings etc for £13 so I'm hoping that fixes it, if not it's about £30 for a new sensor
Plus the cost of programming it into the TPMS system for which you can pay between £40 and £80 depending on who does the job.:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
**** yeah I forgot about that! Don't you hate it that most new sensors now "learn" and dont need to be programmed! Luckily I know an auto elec that won't charge me the earth should the service kit not work

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
D R Automotive in Newtownards. They have Renault CLIP and I highly recommend them. They also sorted out my CHECK INJECTION fault on the Meg after I had been to two other garages.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
I am getting a new genuine Renault tyre sensor fitted and programmed for £60.

The sensor in the link will not fit your wheel if you have alloy wheels, read the link properly before you buy.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
sensor fault

any help please laguna11 had need spring put on drivers side now sensor fault has come on help :crazy:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Re: sensor fault

Which sensor is coming up as faulty?.Is it the ABS or the tyre pressure system?.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Re: sensor fault

sorry its the tyre pressure one orange sensor fault diver side wheel missing on display thank you for your help

1 - 19 of 19 Posts