Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this so hope someone can help.
I have a 51 plate V6 Laguna II with 53k miles. The anti polution fault light came on and car was juddering whilst driving and a slow pick up, I called a mechanic who changed one of the front ignition coils and it worked. Happened again so I change the other front ones no prob. Now happened again, so I have changed all 3 rear ones and the plugs on all six. Car is not juddring now but there is a hissing sound and very slow pick up. Any ideas anyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Chris.
It sounds like air escaping, stops when the engine is revved up but then comes back. Someone suggested it may be the manifold gasket which I didn't change, any thoughts.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Hi,

I think i may have posted a bit about this last year , if you look through my posts you may find it.
What i had was exactly the same symptoms as you. Took all of 6 journeys back and forth to dealer until they sent it to a renault dealership who diagnosed a loose connection somewhere in the number 5 cylinder line. All i know is they rectified it and been running great ever since ... so i would imagine one of your cylinders is misfiring and is intermittent . When that break in the firing sequence starts your light comes on ,car starts to run rough ... then when you switch off and go for a p**s return switch on and she runs lovely again . May take afew days or hours and it happens again. :steam: Yes my friend i am sure there is a misfire occuring in one of your cylinders .. i recomend you take it to a dealership to diagnose the problem .

Other thing i should say is the hissing sound probably is down to the manifold gasket which MUST be replaced every time it is taken off and as you had the rear plugs done i would imagine they put the existing one back on .... that is definatley a NO NO!!

Good luck .. hope you get it sorted quick as it is very frustrating .... Chakota ;)

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
oh dear best you get your self a set of manifold seals and replace them you have probably either knocked one off or split it when refitting it!
good luck bigshow

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just had a similar problem with my V6. Two of the rearcoils had gone faulty and it needed all 6 spark plugs changing. If anyone lives near the wigan area, go to RS Northwest in Wigan. Very helpful and a damn sight cheaper than renault!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

Right, car at the dealers. Said hissing noise and judder caused by broken breather pipe, which they say prob damaged when I changed the coils, £200.
Now they are saying that the breather pipe has stopped the hissing but light still on and still running rough, now need 2 oxygen sensors total cost £700, but they said they would do it all for £585. Is this right/ reasonable?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I called a mechanic who changed one of the front ignition coils and it worked. Happened again so I change the other front ones no prob. Now happened again, so I have changed all 3 rear ones and the plugs on all six.
I have same problem with my Laguna (2001, 1.8, 80K).....
Thinking of new ignition coils. I can see only 4 of them and can`t figure where`s other 2....???

Would the anti-pollution system light turn off after that?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I have same problem with my Laguna (2001, 1.8, 80K).....
Thinking of new ignition coils. I can see only 4 of them and can`t figure where`s other 2....???

Would the anti-pollution system light turn off after that?

Thanks
You can only see 4 cos thats all you have, yours being a 1.8 4 cyl, telj has a 6 cyl vehicle V6 = 6 coils one per plug.

If you are having the same symptoms then yes it prob would fix it by replacing the coils, try to find the offending coil by removing each one of the injector electrical plugs in turn, if the engine note doesn't change when you have pulled the injector lead, then you have found your duff coil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
anti pollution monitor fault!

Hi,
I've just had the exact same thing happen to my 2002 v6 tourer. I had previously taken the car to the main dealer who charged silly money to replace a coil (three times in three months!) and it happened again. I'm not made of money and I have worked in garages before so I took it upon myself to fit a new coil myself.

The new coil has solved the misfiring, but I still have the anti pollution monitor warning every time I turn the engine on.

The warning only came on just before the coil was changed but it was a front coil so I didn't haveto remove the manifold.

Any suggestions?

thanks
chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I changed all 6 coils and the manifold gasket but didn't help. Dealer changed both O2 sensors and it solved the problem, so it maybe one of them, not sure how you would check them though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Telj,
Sometimes the most obvious is the one that is missed so don't be offended. You have probably checked that the various air sensors are re-connected properly on the inlet manfold, could be the cause of the hissing and slow pick up. Otherwise is the air filter housing and air inlet manifold clamps securely fatened down? I'm about to change the back three plugs in mine so would be interested in how much the inlet manifold gasket is and how you solve the problem. Good luck.
Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The hissing was down to a broken/ split breather pipe which Renault replaced when they changed the o2 sensors. The manifold gasket was around £30 from main dealer.

Just for info I bought new plugs and coils from Euro Car parts through their Ebay shop, cheapest place I found, coils were £25.53 and plugs £4.95 plus vat and £7.99 delivery. Email [email protected] or [email protected]. Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first post here, so heres my story.

On Thursday last week, I bought a 52 plate Renualt Laguna 2 Priveldge from an auction. I watched it start up using the card and it started up no problem. I fell in love with it and decieded to place a bid.

I had it in mind to bid up to £2500 if needs be, but I wont the bid and the car sold for £1700 plus around £250 in fees. I got a quote from my existing insurer and it came to £850 ball park. I got 12 months tax and picked up the car.

Drove it home and sat there with a cup of coffee admiring it. Its is a very nice car, very luxurious and well worth the money.

I decieded to show of my new car with its voice to my friends and they were suitably impressed to, especially at the price I paid for such a nice car.

All was going well when we driving down the a59 to dinner at a fancy gastro pub, when the car starting talking to me, it said "Anti Pollution Monitor Fault - Please consult your local Renault Dealer".

A little orange light came on the dash shaped like an engine. I turn off the engine - no change, as soon as I put the card in again and press the start/stop button, there it was again another annoucement and the light stayed on.

Oh s--t, I thought, this is going to be costly. I searched google and followed a link to this site (very nice btw).

Today I got the car into Renualt Sunwin and paid £58.75 for the mechanics to hook up the computer to it.

The computer detected 2 faults these are the results :

CATALYTIC CONVERTOR FUNCATIONAL FAULT
DOWNSTREAM OXYGEN SENSOR HEATING CIRCUIT.

The error codes are DF394 & DF083

This is an extensive list of all the other faults on the car that they found and prices to put it right:

OBD FUNCTIONAL FAULT ON CAT STORED ON CLIP (645.80)
OXYGEN SENSOR FAULT REQUIRES CAT 8 SENSOR (186.00)
BRUSHES SPUTTING WITH PLAY (£254.12)
X/S PLAY IN STEERING RACK (£748.50)
BRAKE DISKS BADLEY CORODDED (£307.35)
BOOT IS SPLIT & JOINT IS CLICKING (£531.96)
LEAKING OIL INTO ENGINE (£201.07)
4 X NEW TYRES PLUS FITTING & BALANCING (£645.00)

With all these faults the salesman turned and looked at me and said you will need to fix these faults as any of them will cause the on board computers to shut the car down.

I took a minute to think about things and said, I currently have a Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 club only 6 months older than this car and it has never failed an mot and it has done 60,000 miles since June 2006 with only servicing work done to it, why is this car such a "Show Pony".

A "Show Pony", is what I call a car that looks great on the outside, but absolutly useless and not fit for purpose.

It seems that Renualt build cars with lots of sensors to checking everything runs smoothly, like oxygen sensors, anti pollution monitors, anti squirrel & hedgehod detectors , but the truth is all this extra junk isnt well build and fails costing the car owner just as much in parts over the life of a car than the car originally costs, and in my case it would of cost considerably more.

After I declined any work to be carried out, I was promptly handed the keycard back and shown the door. I got it and turned off the voice by pressing the mute button next to the steering wheel. I pressed the start button and the yellow light that was there previously has dissapeared. I turned the mute button off and turned off the engine.
Then this time, I turned of the car again with the coice activated - THE FAULT HAD GONE at least for now.

I intend to mint up the car, wait for the v5 logbook to come in my name and then it is going back into auction before the fault dares to return. Someone elses problem then I suppose.

I am prepared to make a loss if needs be, but that has to be the last time, I buy such a technologically sensitive car. I think I will just stick the Zafira. I need reliability on the road, rather than looking like the posh numpty on the hard shoulder getting comfy in a car that looks good, but is all fur coat and no knickers.

I am sorry for the Renualt lovers on this forum if I have hurt any feelings, but this brand of car, just isnt for me.

◊ Drives a 52 plate Renualt Laguna 2.0 16v Petrol ◊ Supports Fernando Alonso

·
Registered
2 Posts
faults galore!!

Hi ivmcdermott,

Sorry to hear of your multitude of problems with your laguna. One thing... Have you ever heard of a mechanic nowadays who can call himself a "mechanic"? Lets face it, 99% of them are just fitters! Mechanics dont find faults and work on the part to fix it, they just remove what the computer says is faulty and replace it with a new part. Even I can do that!!

Most probs described in your list dont cause the car to "shut down"! I've had numerous faults listed by the voice and most of those are an easy fix that I do myself!

Tyres and balancing? since when did that cause the car to shut down. Check out Ebay for brake discs, I've found some on there for £60.00 a pair including pads. (not cheap rubbish either!!) Anyway, discs dont corode, the object of the disc is to stop the car via friction from the pads, this friction prevents any corosion ever forming. Sounds to me your local renault mechanic is trying it on big time, or the salesman is full of sh*t!

Ok, this one is really interesting me... "leaking oil into the engine???" where is the oil supposed to be? If they mean the head gasket is gone causing oil to enter the water system, fair enough, but if they can replace a head gasket for £201.07, hey give me their details and I'll get them to do both on my V6 (if they ever go!)

Bushes...Ebay (£16.00 for the rear axle pair)
Steering rack... either Ebay or www.atozmotorspares.co.uk (ask for ziggy)

If the bushes on the front are loose, replace them and the steering rack shouldn't need replacing as the play felt in the rack may well be due to the problem with the bushes!

Boot joint split.... By the price quoted they must be replacing the driveshaft... the boot shouldn't be more than £30.00.

I hope the above is of help to you. If you are mechanically minded, most of the jobs can be done at home with a pair of axle stands and a basic tool kit.

As for the garage that quoted you those prices, dont use them, its a rip off.

I'd best leave it there for now, I could go on for ever bt then I'd get too boring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem solved

I sought advice from this post and now my problem is solved. Thought it would be good to share my experience.
On 2002 Laguna II V6 Initiale - idling went lumpy, but no obvious lack of power above 2000 rpm. Then the nice lady hidden behind my dash informed me "Anti Pollution Monitor Faulty - Please contact your Renault Dealer". I chose to ignore the advice on the posts and bought a new oxygen sensor - cos that is what the OBD was telling me. Was shocked to find that V6 has 4 O2 sensors. Plugged new sensor in each - electrically not mechanically - fault does not disappear. Then 3 of us decided to club together at work to buy a OBD scanner - opted for the £109 Maxiscan MS509. Linked to car no probs - error messages were for "General / Multiple cylinder misfire". Could see on screen that all 4 O2 sensors working. Reset fault but they soon returned. Then did (in hindsight what should have been done 1st) - unplugged each feed to plug-top coil one by one. If idle got worse then that cyl was functioning / no change then suspect plug / coil. Fortunately middle front coil was suspected kaput. (Don't know if thsi would be so easy on back 3 cyls). Fitted one new coil £22 and she purs like a contented cat again. Just returned from a very satisfying test drive. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anti Polution Monitor Faulty.

My Mechanic took of the sensor and cleaned it and the problem was solved. The dashboard warning light vanished as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi telj,i have same problem with my laguna privelidge 20.l petrol,have you any idea where abouts on the car the 02 sensors are that you got changed,my car is running fine just the warning speach and engine management light on all the time,any info would be much appreciated,i know it was a while ago but if you can remember where they are you would help me lots thanks telj,al

1 - 19 of 19 Posts