Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Renault people. First time post, sorry if I've done anything wrong.

The short version of the story is that I've got a Laguna II 1.9dCi (03 plate) that won't start. When I put the key card in, I get a fast-blinking light in the middle of the instrument panel. The radio works, but the car won't start, doesn't even turn the starter. This doesn't happen every time, but it's happened the last 2 mornings and a couple of times before. I've tried locking and unlocking doors, putting the card in many times rapidly, but leaving it for a few mins and coming back seems to be the only thing that works. So if anyone knows what I should do based purely on that, that'd be great. I'll write the story out in full as well in case that'd not enough info.

We bought the car in March, and put a new battery in it. We had the same problem back then, which my dad fixed on a local Laguna owner's suggestion of taking off the positive battery terminal, stroking it over the contact a few times, putting it back, opening and closing the doors a few times and then trying to start the car.

For a month or so, the car was just sat in a local car park. This is because it was repossessed previously, and it turned out that causes a DVLA nightmare. Wish we'd known that sooner. Every couple of days I went down and ran it for 10 mins or so, it always started fine.

I've been driving it for 10 days or so now, having finally got the paperwork sorted. I love the car, it's really nice to drive, comfortable, good on fuel etc etc, and I'm really pleased with it other than this fault.

So far, it's happened four times after the original one when the battery was replaced - once after leaving it for 20 mins or so from a 5-min drive, once in an afternoon when I'd driven it that morning, and two mornings in a row when I've gone out to it first thing. It's been fine every other time.

My dad thought the battery in the key might need changing. I'm not sure, because the key still locks and unlocks the doors with no problems. Surely that's what the battery is for, and the card reading is done magnetically with no power from the key? I don't want to change the key battery unless I'm sure, in case that means another code having to be reset etc.

If it matters at all, the car was MOT'd in early March, but not by us. The dealer who bought the car after it was repossessed handled that. No hand has touched it since, apart from my dad mucking about with the battery.

Can't think of anything else to say really. I'm way out in the dales here, need this car to get me to uni 3 days a week and that's nearly 2 hours away. Only alternative is 20 quid every time on the train, of which there are three a day. So I really need to get this sorted for my own sanity. Any help would be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I too have a similar problem with intermittent starting but I don't think it is the immobiliser as the light stops flashing when I insert the Key card. I have taken it to a local garage who thought it may be the starter motor and seem to have found a fault with that but the problem still persisted, They then hooked it up to a diagnostic machine and it showed up a fault on the card reader and the electronic steering lock. My dilema is that they cannot gaurantee me that after replacing these items that it will solve the problem!! will cost approx €900 in total!! Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts