Independent Renault Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I have had A Laguna 2 1.9dci and my wife has a Clio 1.5dci both from new both with low mileage.

Each time I have had problems with the orange warning light I have used the
Renault diagnostics tool to determine the faults and spent a small fortune on different parts but each time it has come down to injectors.

Changed the injectors in both vehicles (the most expensive option) and the problems have been solved with both cars running perfectly.

Renault would do exactly the same as I have done blaming each part in turn and easing your wallet of loads of Wonga.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Thanks for the reply
You don't see many on roads yet there seems to be a lot for sale online!!!
Think I will go for this one i'm going to look at, it seems straight enough
Has a 10 speaker Bose stereo system which was apparently £2000 option at new
He wants £5495 for it...Bargain? It's the GT 180 model

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I may just do that, got a megane at the moment and apart from a few niggles that have been sorted it's great.
Ill post pics if I get it
P.S..... Renault Megane 1.9 Dci Sport hatch now for sale £995 :d

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the reply
I may be wrong , but the Bose is standard equipment , especially on the GT model. Hope it works out for you anyway. Short runs where the exhaust does not get up to temperature are the death of all DPF's . That was Vauxhalls excuse to us a couple of month's out of warranty . They wanted £1500 for a new DPF , no chance after giving £5000 for a new engine from them and a new turbo +bits and pieces + fitting by my mechanic. DPF's can be removed and soaked in special solution overnight and then high pressure cleaned/ rinsed from on end . And then we bored a few 16mm holes straight down through the honeycomb center , then traded it . In hindsight I should have scrapped it and no repairs, but it was 26k new. You can buy aftermarket DPF's and they are 1/4 the price, if you ever need one . Lesson learned.

PS the latest news is the experts don't reckon they are doing the clean air process thing at all. bit late after forcing them on us . Maybe big oil weren't selling enough unleaded ( another con, worst quality petrol than from before WW2) Lead lubricated the surface of the everything metal in the combustion chamber !
DPF's All they do is wreck engines!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the reply
you don't see many Laguna 3's because in 2012 Renault UK franchise stopped bringing them into the UK . Rest of europe still got them, and as far as I've read and seen photos the new one is a gem to look at. Good Luck

PS RE: Megane if latest model , try and hold out for the 1.6 diesel engine , it superior in every way to the older 1.5 litre.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Oh don't ruin it for me :d
Seriously though, I know all about the Dci engine with it's DPF
Every two weeks I work nights and at 6am I take the wife's Megane on a 30 minute run, 4 th gear at 60 miles an hour, this does the Re-gen, use only BP ultimate fuel and have had no problems at all ( touch wood), they say Diesel is cheaper but then you have to do these runs and pay for top fuel, does it really work out that much cheaper?
As for the Bose 10 speaker system, I understand that was a £2000 option at new, not 100% though
Iv'e sold my BMW for this and people thought I was mad, but the build quality and drive is far superior, went out in the BM today and thought it was crap compared.
Regarding the DPF I know a place that opens the DPF and then resets the ECU for £200, a few people I know have had it done and said it's been great
The car I've bought has been remapped to 220 BHP, not something I would have done but what a difference it makes, goes like the wind and still pulling 50MPG on a run

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi buddy , Renault originally offered 130 ,150,180 BHP versions . The 130 BHP version was dropped very quickly from the lineup. From what I've assertained this M9R engine was a joint Renault/Nissan development and is " supposedly" the top 2.0litre TD out there, believe it or not. Mine came ex lease with 24k miles as a 150BHP which I drove for 2 months before the EGR delete and remap to 205BHP, so I felt the difference and have surprised a few boy racers in Audi's etc. Yours should be lethal with 220 BHP.
As a rule a diesel engine is not at it's most efficient till it's covered 60k+ miles. A petrol is at it's best as it leaves the production line, believe it or not.

I am expecting my mpg to improve with mileage , and I intent to keep it. My son has the 2010 Laguna Coupe and he has had no bother so far. It was bought with 2k miles nnd now has 32K , he's going for the same remapp when he get's round to it.
Between the wife and I we have had about 80 cars since 1976 ranging from a citroen 2CV to a 6.6litre Pontiac Trans-AM ( smokey and the bandit ) and I agree with you The Laguna 3 was a very much underated car. I love it to drive and so does the wife.:d I intend to hold on to mine. It's even more comfy than our Infiniti G37 which is a 3.7 petrol and a sports suspension. Oh and 23mpg :mad:

I wish you the best with it , I was told to use BP Ultimate as it was the best. I was warned to stay away from the big 4 supermarket diesel as they won't buy the additives . Also stay away from bio too unless you need a breakdown with a blocked fuel filter full of white vaseline:confused: This happened to a mate using exclusively Sains....... diesel.
Our diesel at the pumps already has a % bio in it . I didn't find out untill I was filling up in germany and the admisssion was clearly stated on the diesel pump. Our Gov:moonie: didn'tadvertise the fact , but still take the full duty on the Bio %.:eek: No wonder some folk chance the strawberry flavoured stuff !

All the best with your Laguna.:d

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I have a lag 3 dci 175.With 80,000 on the clock and no issues at all.I have read the blurb about dpf problems before i bought it and i do believe that the m9r engine has a fifth injector in the dpf.A few drops of diesel is injected in to raise temperature and burn off the soot.In the manual it also states that this can take place at or above 12 mph,so no need for a blast apparently.
It certainly is not a slouch,and the torque has embarrassed quite a few whizz kids on the steep hills around cornwall where i live.I love it,and i have only seen 3 others on the roads down here in the depths!:d

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Cheers, great post
Loving it at the moment and yes it's priceless when Bm's and Audi's have a go and I just pull away:d
Car was mapped by Celtic tuning they are based near Cornwall apparently
Power is great, won't say on here what I pulled out of it yesterday
Off the Mark it's so sharp.
The only thing that is annoying is the daytime lights
Why put Xenon's on and the warm white fairy lights? Manual says how to de-activate, the option is not listed on my settings.
Is it easy to replace to get and the bulbs? hoping I can get some crisp white bulbs

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a lag 3 dci 175.With 80,000 on the clock and no issues at all.I have read the blurb about dpf problems before i bought it and i do believe that the m9r engine has a fifth injector in the dpf.A few drops of diesel is injected in to raise temperature and burn off the soot.In the manual it also states that this can take place at or above 12 mph,so no need for a blast apparently.
It certainly is not a slouch,and the torque has embarrassed quite a few whizz kids on the steep hills around cornwall where i live.I love it,and i have only seen 3 others on the roads down here in the depths!:d
Glad to hear the " no problems" . Must admit I did my homework before going for the Lag 3. It was such good value in FEB 13 and the fact I lost a packet on the Astra TT which I was telling BBstoke on here, blew up at 36k miles due to a blocked DPF.

The tuning guy who deleted my EGR from the ECU + remap ( still fitted physically , just the car doesn't know it's there anymore and doesn't access it) . His words were the LAG 3 doesn't suffer from DPF failure and that the EGR delete would solve 95% of future problems in that repect. That's ayear ago and it goes like stink with the extra BHP. I am expecting to go past your present mileage without trouble. Your's is only "run in" at that mileage, diesel mpg is supposed to improve , all things being equal, the higher the mileage, so I'm assured.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cheers, great post
Loving it at the moment and yes it's priceless when Bm's and Audi's have a go and I just pull away:d
Car was mapped by Celtic tuning they are based near Cornwall apparently
Power is great, won't say on here what I pulled out of it yesterday
Off the Mark it's so sharp.
The only thing that is annoying is the daytime lights
Why put Xenon's on and the warm white fairy lights? Manual says how to de-activate, the option is not listed on my settings.
Is it easy to replace to get and the bulbs? hoping I can get some crisp white bulbs
I put Osram Night Breaker H7's for both dipped and mains a few month's back and it has made some difference I can see the road ahead now LOL

Mine hasn't got Zenon and why would you want to change down to halogen ?
Zenon are/should be superior to std Halogen.
If they ever did blow , they can be bought online at a fraction of the dealers price.

My LAG 3 hasn't got fairy light's either . Has someone fitted them aftermarket to it?

Bulb accessible from under the bonnet , one side has more room to work with and you won't need to dismantle the car as some previous models.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I like the Xenons but the little lights next to them are warm white, looks ridiculous
Is it easy to get to them to replace?
They do the small pop in bulbs that are blue to look at but when lit up the are bright white, the blue coating cancels out the horrible yellow colour

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Bulbs are not too bad to get to.I have not had any blow yet but i have had a look.
The screenwash bottle filler neck will just pull out of the bottle,and apparently the power steering bottle can be moved out of the way by uncliping it.A good one for the battery side is this,take off the battery cover,and you will be able to see that the corner of the battery tray can be lifted out thus providing you with an extra inch to scrape the back of your hand with.it dont look much,but its a good help,and can only be seen by removing the cover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all
Had this problem back in may, had fault codes read and nothing really came up as the cause, but on inspection a split in the high pressure sensor hose on the back of the DPF was thought to be the cause and was replaced for £40.
The problem seemed solved but one month later on another motorway run the "check injection system" warning started to come on/off intermittently for just seconds at a time?
I had the fault codes read again and DPF was below effiency threshold and the pipe feeding into DPF was found to be also split, making it unable to do a regen this time costing £80 to replace.
It would seem that these pipes take a lot of heat and as such the rubber high pressure hosing feeding the regen process into the DPF begins to perish after time.
I have done several long runs on motorways and one month on all seems ok for now, but I only done about a 1000 miles since the repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guess my turn has come with 120k mls on my Lag 2011 2.dci 150. The dreaded orange "Check Injection System" popped up yesterday, & power dropped. Full main dealer service just 6k ago so disappointed. I normally drive it on a bit but due to injury the missus has been using it last coue months & doesn't pass 50mph .... ever...
My mechanic couldn't understand fault codes today so it's off to Main Dealer Monday morning. Any advice before that as always greatly appreciated. Cheers Mike

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,465 Posts
Before you take it...could your mechanic clear the fault and it came straight back on or not..Would he be willing to put it back on his machine for you and try this method of clearing the code and then you giviing the car a good run to try and do a manual regen...if yes ask him to try this .... pull the plug off the air meter sensor...restart the car it should now give another fault for the air meter wire being off replace the plug then clear the faults if the light now goes off and it is a regen issue you could well find that giving it a good run will start a regen and you could be ok ...if he wont,..or might not want to, then its main agents

·
Registered
7 Posts
Before you take it...could your mechanic clear the fault and it came straight back on or not..Would he be willing to put it back on his machine for you and try this method of clearing the code and then you giviing the car a good run to try and do a manual regen...if yes ask him to try this .... pull the plug off the air meter sensor...restart the car it should now give another fault for the air meter wire being off replace the plug then clear the faults if the light now goes off and it is a regen issue you could well find that giving it a good run will start a regen and you could be ok ...if he wont,..or might not want to, then its main agents
Cheers I'll try and get him to try that before Monday though being weekend is against me. He cleared faults on Thursday eve benign and we gave it a drive, power normal until warning light returned and engine was cut back again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The problem was sorted by the Main dealer. A sensor on the DPF they said. Cost 350 Eu though and couldn't do a regen as it was they said. Anyway I gave it a good blow out on the 80km trip home. First time having a DPF in a car and it's a pain in the backside.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts