Independent Renault Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well after two years of ownership of my Lag III dci 150 (no fap) and over 50k miles i had my first breakdown yesterday. Driving along it gave a little chug before 'check injection system' came on in orange, drove another 50 yards, another chug and the writing turned to red and the car cut out.

Got towed to the garage who managed to get its started briefly before it cut out again with what seems like no fuel getting through. When you press the bellows to the left of the engine bay fuel rises up the hose but only slightly, when you turn the engine fuel rises up the clear fuel hose again very slowly. It was then mentioned about fuel filter and when was the last time i changed it. Woops, i never have! :eek:

Time then ran out so the car wont be getting looked at again till monday now. Im praying its a blocked fuel filter as they reckon this should be changed every 12k miles - cant beleive ive never done it. Ill keep you informed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, i'm new here. This happened to me this evening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEt-SAfHBS0

It happened after i've accelerated hard at a roundabout exit. I stopped the engine and everything was fine.

While the error was active, the engine did not rev more than ±2800 rpm and also the power was very low.
ditto exact same thing happened today here. Although the engine losing power when reving high and can't seem to go faster than 30-40 mph even when switched to manual shift... car is only 4 years old with 68k miles.... just had an MOT last week passed easily but today this happened....going to check spark plugs with multimeter tomorrow when its light outside again....

I have been reading on here that it might be a cleaning cycle of the particle filter that failed...if that's the case then thats epic engineering fail.....now thinking should have kept old car......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Local garage supposedly changed fuel filter (for £135!) and they said it fixed this problem, 5 mins driving and voila "Check Injection system" and loss of power is back, going back to local garage they say I should go to Renault, no refunds and they returned my car with empty tank of diesel... now booked into Renault to do Diagnostics for £59......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Local garage supposedly changed fuel filter (for £135!) and they said it fixed this problem, 5 mins driving and voila "Check Injection system" and loss of power is back, going back to local garage they say I should go to Renault, no refunds and they returned my car with empty tank of diesel... now booked into Renault to do Diagnostics for £59......
I was twiddling my thumb reading every post on here and worrying sick as what the problem could be so now
Diagnostics was done by Renault and they fixed it:
It was some connector of some DPF sensor with a dirty contact or something, they cleaned it, and it is fixed now, all part of the £59 Diagnostics as you get half an hours of work included in the diagnostics.
To my surprise they also cleaned the car!
Well worth to do the diagnostics, incredible service from the folks at Renault Liverpool, they even made a video of the car with an explanation what was discovered by diagnostics and work carried out and emailed it to me....really dreaded to drive in limp mode to the garage but now its nice and nippy again, so I love the Laguna again:)

They also helped in recommending to just drive normally on the motorway for 15 mins for a DPF clean and no need to rev too high by putting in 4th or 3rd gear as I was recommended by the local garage. For this DPF burn/clean cycle (or whatever its called) of the Laguna III it just needs to have a warm engine and the blowout happens just as a normal thing when driving without need to rev high for prolonged period.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought I follow up on this "adventure". On the next day I went on the motorway, as soon as I slowed down to exit the motorway the Check Injection System light came on.
Oddly they couldn't book me into Reanult until after a week. Then booked in and then was told I need the DPF sensor replacing which will cost an additional £300+ but they didnt have the part until Tuesday. Tuesday I was there the part didn't arrive so I was told it will be there tomorrow, today I was told the part won't arrive until next tuesday. Once it is fixed I will part exchange it for a German or Swedish car, Renault just doesn't cut it, also they mentioned that all the ones that have their DPF force regen by RAC or AA whatevever land with them in the end as a force regen needs oild and oil filter change. Thinking how many Renaults and Diesels are around this must be costing, suffice to say I am so fed up I should have gone with a car that has higher emissions and no DPF, I truely wish I had never bought this car and am back browsing autotrader/pistonheads for more reliable cars.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Sadly Renault aren't the only manufacturers who have trouble with DPF systems which can cost the earth to repair or maintain so beware if you are considering changing your car.

I know of people who have vowed never to buy another modern diesel car but will opt for a petrol model instead. Many people are swayed by the economy of diesel engines but with the additional costs of having to renew the DPF (in some cases £2000) they have ended up worse off financially.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well to be honest VW/Audi/Skoda would be easier to diagnose by third party garages, Renault has done well for themselve "hiding" 40-60 or more errors within the same error message, it is just deliberately engineered for Renault making money in aftersales, I have been to 3 garages before going to Renault and they couldnt' tell what was exactly wrong with it so I was forced basically to go to the main dealer. Renault is basically cornering the market for themselves to charge then an arm and a leg for repairs....and as far as environment goes I guess I am too eyeing maybe to get rid of the DPF entirely from the ECU....so this DPF which should be good for the environment in the end will cost more....which sane person who does'nt do regular motorway miles is going once a week on a 1 hour roundtrip just to get the soot burned off in the DPF....I remember that Top Gear episode of some old guy saying he's driving his classic big engine car is costing the environment less than going to buy a brand new hybrid, dpf or electric for the matter... ah well I am just fuming...rant over:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for info. You are right, The story is, I left my car at Renault services for 3 hours, they told me that the problem is oil deluded (service and oil change 5 months ago at 14000Km now 22000Km) so they can charge me for that, then i drive around 10Km to my work the Yellow warning light is on again "Check injection system" again. I rang Renault service they told me that bring the car in next day (yesterday) and they will give me a car to go to work, I also rang Renault to as for the competent service but they ask me go back to the same service garage. I drop my car for them 2 hours later they told me that it is fixed, the reason is the service guy forgot to "reset the error message" without said sorry at all. Should I trust what they said? I drive from yesterday until now ~50Km it is OK. I think I have to buy the error reader to read the diagnostic messages before give the car the Renault service. Anyone can recommend the error reader for Renault Laguna Expression III 2.0dCI 2008 please.
Yes I know the answer, buy OBDII (OBD2) Diagnostic Auto Car Scanner Scan Tool. There are few types of them. There is one coming from China I think which is £10.10, and there is another type that you can connect it to your laptop r iPhone,, see which one you like. I ordered one from Manuals Diagnostics for £39.99 called U480 OBD2 LCD Car Diagnostic Scanner Fault Code Reader, then I found the same one, exactly the same on Amazon site for £10.10 as I mentioned above then I ordered it and didn't opened the expensive or rip off one to return it when the other one arrives. I think it is best if you can find one which is stocked in the UK. good luck. By the way they are not only for Renault you can use them for all car made after 1996.

·
Registered
9 Posts
...throw my hat into the ring on this topic.

We have Scenic III
We are absolutely sick to the back teeth of warnings.
Check Airbag - nothing wrong with airbag.
Check battery - nothing wrong with battery
Check pollution filter - nothing wrong
Check injection system - a sensor fault
etc etc.
Seems all these sensors all over the place are the issues. Why ustilise this technology if it is not fit for purpose?

Latest one was Stop - Engine failure hazard. This actually was sort of true - it was related to accelerator pedal sensor issue.

Interesting talking to the breakdown chap who took us back home. He said the cars they attended most were Vauxhalls. The cars the had least call outs on was Honda. He said that Renault electronics were complete garbage.

After our aircon issue we are never buying another Renault. The Scenic suited our space requirements but now that isn't so important. We have no confidence in the car or manufacturer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the help lewis.
Touch wood mine seems to be sorted, we'll see over the next few days i guess.
I did a manual regeneration of the dpf on friday night using my clip thing, (took about 45 mins). That burnt off about 24 grammes of soot apparently. (would be nice to know what amount is normal/dangerous for them). Then a full service today, went for a drive under the same conditions as the fault was occuring, and it was fine. Also seemed to be a little more powerfull after the regen, or i could just have imagined that.
So if theres anyone in the Cranswick (YO25) area that feels they need a dpf regen, and doesn't want to go to the stealers, then just PM me.
hi mate do you still do regens on laguna
cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the help lewis.
Touch wood mine seems to be sorted, we'll see over the next few days i guess.
I did a manual regeneration of the dpf on friday night using my clip thing, (took about 45 mins). That burnt off about 24 grammes of soot apparently. (would be nice to know what amount is normal/dangerous for them). Then a full service today, went for a drive under the same conditions as the fault was occuring, and it was fine. Also seemed to be a little more powerfull after the regen, or i could just have imagined that.
So if theres anyone in the Cranswick (YO25) area that feels they need a dpf regen, and doesn't want to go to the stealers, then just PM me.
Hi, I am having a nightmare with the same thing with my laguna coupe 2011. I dont live far from YO25 and would be interested in the regen. I tried messaging you but not successfully. Thanks in advance

41 - 53 of 53 Posts