1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
S Reg 1998 2.0 16v Estate

HI

I really could do with some advice.

I was driving along today when the VAS started to say "Engine immobiliser fault, please consult handbook" Engine was running? I looked at the engine temperature and it was flucuating betwen 3/4 and off the scale.

I pulled over, turned the engine off and felt then engine, it was only luke warm as id only travelled 1mile at 30 mph from a cold start. I fired the car back up again, worked?? Travelled some 100 metres, VAS Activated again with immobilser fault and the engine temp gauge went off the scale.

I managed to get to my friends house and called the RAC who said it might be the sender unit or the ECU. He said the sender unit might be sending false reports back to the ECU which in turn if faulting out the immobilser.

Any help or advice would be appreciated as the garage charges £100+VAT just to hook up the ECU where as a new sender is £20.

Col

P.S. Tried spare key incase battery was duff. NOPE still the same fault

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks

Thats sound advice if we had an auto electrician in our area!! Sadly the only one we had has just been sent down for 5 years!!!

Hence why the only auto electricians in the area work at the big garages!!

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Thanks

Thats sound advice if we had an auto electrician in our area!! Sadly the only one we had has just been sent down for 5 years!!!

Hence why the only auto electricians in the area work at the big garages!!
LOL. Sorry to hear that mate. Hang tight we have plenty of Lag owners and a couple of techs on site I'm sure you'll get more help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im hanging on mate!!

I need to get down to Cornwall in the next week or so and i dont fancy walking it!!

Monies abit tight as we are moving down there so if i can fix it myself or if someone is in Cumbria and wants a case of lager for fixing it then thats fine by me!

Col

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HI

Ive checked all connection to and from the sender. also had the water coolant bottle out by the side of ecu and checked the earth under there, also checked the eartch by the bulk head drivers side and thats ok.

I cant see any broken connectins anywhere. There doesnt seem to be any airlocks in the system either?

Col

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The coolant fan came on and it seems to be running ol. The temp needle in the car fluctuates between 3/4 and off the scale when I rev the engine?? But it cant get that hot within 2 minutes?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts