Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a 2000 Lagnua I 1.9 DTI and yesterday the indicators stopped working mid-drive.

The Hazards still work and all the bulbs (Main, side, full, indicator and break) all work as well.

Following advice, the Flasher Unit was declared most likely culprit, so I purchased one for £11.50 and then spent the next hour scratching my head looking around the fuse box for something similar. Eventually I found it (narrowed it down to two behind the fuse section by listening whilst the Hazards were on) and replaced the old unit. No change. The old unit rattled so may have caused the problem in the first place, but if so, it's damaged something else.

The only other thing I could think of was a problem with the Indicator Stalk, so after finding a very odd star-shaped attachment for my screw driver I removed the lower half of the steering column to gain access to the stalk.

As the lights and horn still worked and all the wires are securely connected I now believe there may be either a mechanical or micro-switch error in the 'black box' that houses the stalk. If so, it is beyond me.

Before I carefully drive down to a garage and throw myself and wallet upon their mercy, can anyone offer any help or suggestions?

Kind Regards

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, sorry. Should have mentioned the Fuseboard was my first port of call.

Any idea of the cost for a new stalk?

Looks like it has soldering issues, so don't fancy doing it myself.

Thanks

Mark

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Do you have any friends with a Lag 1?.If so,swap the switches over just to make sure that it's that at fault.If your anywhere near Dorset,you can borrow the switch from mine if you want to.:).Or,there might be another forum member near you who might be willing to do the same.

If you find that the switch is faulty,then you should be able to source a second hand one.Have a look on ebay or check the Renault breakers thread on the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Thanks for your suggestion, can I just confirm that when you say 'switch' you mean the stalk 'indicator rocker switch' rather than something else I've not considered?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

I purchased a replacement stalk (which thank god I obtained from a breakers yard for £20 + VAT, rather than the £99 + VAT my local Renault Garage wanted) and after swapping it....the indicators still don't work!

So, having changed the fuse, the Flasher Unit and the Stalk, I have done all I can and have to assume some kind of wiring fault.

My local Renault garage want's £85 + VAT to begin a diagnostic and my usual MOT/Service centre want £35 + VAT standard labour rate.

Unless anyone has any ideas about what I can do myself, does the Renault garage have any special kit that justifys paying 3 x the normal hourly labour rate for a diagnostic?

Thanks to all on the forums for your help so far.

Mark

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I wish I had come across this thread earlier..

So my advice is to replace the hazard switch as they are known to cause the indicators to stop working..
Yes you might say the hazards are OK, however the indicator supply line goes via it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your advice, I took the Hazzard switch apart and made sure all the wires and contacts were clean, but this didn't fix the problem. As you say, it probably needs replacing. My car is going in to the local garage tomorrow and I have made sure they will be starting with the Hazzard switch.

I'll post back to the Forums on Thursday with an update so a future reader, can learn from my trial and error!

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The garage has found the fault and fixed it.

Webcode was correct, the problem was with the 'Hazzard switch' as a wire had corroded within it and was not completing the indicator circuit.

The electrican has cleaned all of the contacts and replaced one wire within and apparently all is now well.

Total cost £35 inc VAT. As opposed to Renault Leicester who wanted £85 + VAT to have a look.

Many thanks for your advice and offers of help.

Regards

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts