Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First as I'm new, great forums here. I've had a trawl through and haven't found a similar post to this so apologies if it is here and I've missed it!

My recently acquired 2003 (53) Laguna Initiale has a CD player problem. It is the in-dash Cabasse Auditorium Tronic CD Changer model. When in FM/AM mode all is fine, but after loading the CD's, in CD mode I get no sound - although the discs are apparently playing (the tracks switch after about the correct amount of time etc). There is also no evidence of the volume controls operating in CD mode either, although other functions from the remote and the HU work okay (track skip etc).

I've had the Carminat CCU and the Cabasse HU out of the dash to check the connections and all seems fine - I assume the box in the boot is also part of the setup but can't work out how I get at this to check the connections at that end.

Any one else had this problem? At the moment I'm assuming (hoping!) it's a simple connection issue and that the unit itself isn't faulty. Any help is much appreciated...

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi majestic103

Just a thought,is there a source selection buttton ?

You may need to select cd rather than radio.

:) :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Glenda,

Yes, there is a "Source" button, and I'm definitely selecting the correct mode.

I can see that it is playing the CD's, I just don't get any sound. It's like the speaker connections aren't there for the CD unit - am I right in thinking that the Tuner (FM/AM etc) runs out of the Carminat unit whilst the CD playback will be driven via the box in the boot or the Cabasse changer unit in the dash itself?

I've tried different disks and have tried all six once in the changer. Have even tried a lens cleaning CD incase it was just a dirty lens causing it not to read cleanly...

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I'm not sure how this configuration works, but I'm guessing that the in-boot component is the amp, and possibly the tuner as well. There just isn't room to fit these bits along with a multi-changer into a single-slot DIN-E unit.

By the sound of things, the SPDIF signal (effectively, raw digital CD data) isn't getting from the head unit to the amp. As both channels are encoded in the one digital stream, one loose wire would lose you both channels. It's obvious that there's some connection to the amp, otherwise you'd lose either the radio (if the tuner's in the head) or the ability to control tuning (if the tuner's in the amp.)

So it sounds like a loose or broken wire somewhere. I'd check the connections to the in-boot unit first, and then the back of the head unit if that doesn't get you anywhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks folks, bit disheartened that this appears to be a problem that nobody else has yet experienced! Once I've worked out how to get at the wiring for the boot unit I'll check that side of things out and post what I find. In the meantime please keep your suggestions coming!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I think you just have an unusual configuration. Originally, the L2 Privilege and Initiale got a single slot radio/cd with a 6 disc changer in the boot. Later, this was upgraded to an in-dash changer in the upper slot on the Privilege, though (I thought, up until now) the Initiale and Privilege with optional sat-nav both still got the in-boot changer because the nav controls already used the spare slot.

From what you're saying about your system, it would seem that they binned this idea in favour of an in-dash changer and moved the amp to where the changer was in the boot. It sounds like a much better set-up to me, as you can actually change discs without rooting round in the boot.

On the latest (2005 phase II facelift) ones, they've been playing musical chairs again. Now the DVD drive for the navigation is in the dash above the in-dash CD changer, the amp/tuner is in the bottom of the glove box where the nav CD reader used to be, the sat-nav controls are where the handbrake used to be, and the handbrake has been replaced with an electronic lever where the voice synth/mobile phone speaker used to live.

Is it any wonder we're all confused?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hehe!

Imagine my horror when I dropped the Carminat and changer out of the dash and was presented with totally non-standard connection blocks! What ever happened to ISO standards???

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
If it's anything like mine, you'll have ISO connectors, but plugged into the amp rather than the changer. If, as I suspect, the module in the boot is the amp, then they'll be there.

It makes fitting the likes of a Parrot handsfree or TomTom docking kit pretty interesting, that's for sure :crazy:

As for the idea of a third-party after-fit stereo. It's probably best not to go there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Success!!!

Well, my hands are a bit worse for wear, but I now have a fully functional CD changer! I still haven't worked out how to get the tuner/amp unit out of the boot to have a proper look, but was able to squeeze a hand down into the void it occupies and fiddle around with the ISO connectors - none of them felt like they needed pushing in, but low and behold after doing so I now have sound!!!

Boy I'm impressed with the Cabasse sound - didn't really appreciate the quality when listening to FM stations...

A couple of extra points now raised:

1) Should the satnav mute the stereo when audible instructions are being given?

2) Has anyone had a Parrot car kit fitted to a Renault with my configuration where the standard ISO connections are in the boot? Any recommended fitters in the Midlands etc?

Thanks again folks...

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi majestic103

Glad to hear you got sound.
Parrot kit and satnav ....all i can offer is connector A3 does the mute function (earth to mute).
Hopefully a more experienced member can offer more advice.

:) :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! Trying to get some local autoleccy's to quote for fitting the parrot kit, including "adapting" the supplied wiring to reach into the boot!!!

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Glad to hear you got it working. If you amp is where I think it is, then my last car had the CD changer where your amp is. I had to remove it to do the towbar wiring. It was 'fun' but not impossible.

There's a thread somewhere where someone fitted a Parrot kit to either an Espace or Scenic with the amp in the boot. A search might just turn it up if you can work out what to type in the box.

The easiest option is probably to extend the ISO loom on the Parrot kit, through personally, I'd try to avoid that approach if possible, as that's likely to introduce electrical noise into the whole sounds system.

If you go on Parrot's website (page d'accueil) and download the PDF file for "Espace (Cabasse audio + prewire)" it looks like Parrot do an extension kit for exactly this scenario, though you have to e-mail them for more details.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Found that link:

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/scenic/2081-renault-scenic-electronics-how-fit-parrot-car-kit-ck3100-etc-cabasse-auditorium.html

Though re-reading it, it does involve cutting cables and soldering in new lengths. I'm never entirely happy doing that to something that's still under warranty, which your Parrot kit obviously would be if you'd only just bought it.

I'd investigate the possibility of official extension cables from Parrot first, and go with this option as a last resort.

The "Prewire" reference in the Espace notes is probably for cars that are pre-wired for hands-free. It's hard to tell at the resolution they give you, but the connector on one of the extension cables that they show looks right too.

As your Lag is an Intiale, it should have this feature too. There's a small (yellow, I think) connector inside the centre console (to remove the panel,just detach the gaiters around the gear lever and handbrake, lift up the centre arm rest, grab hold of the centre console top panel and pull!) The Parrot kit may well be able to use the car's built in microphone with these adapter leads, though I never managed to get the one in my last car to work. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all your help. Got a mobile auto electrician coming to remove the Nokia kit next week - am going to have a word with him about the Parrot kit.

Have also emailed Parrot regarding the prewire adapter... Will let you all know how I get on.

btw, I lost the CD audio again yesterday after driving over a particularly severe speed hump! Guess the connectors aren't locking in properly so will have to get the amp out to try and sort it out properly :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Done I think!

Well folks, thanks for all the input on this one - I think I'm pretty much done now - After another ten minutes taking the skin off the back of my hand the S/PDIF lead finally went into place on the amp with a hearty loud click, and since then there's been no issues with the CD player sound.

Also managed to pick up a bluetooth convertor for the existing Nokia kit, and after a couple of hours of mucking about now have a nice neat bluetooth handsfree (though unfortunately not using the pre-wired mic and speaker) for £30...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts