Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Laguna 1998 dti.........This problem has just started to happen. At the moment It drives ok, idles ok and revs ok, it evens goes around left hand bends ok (??).
The problems starts when you drive around a right hand bend. The engine shudders, sort of like misfiring. But only like one shudder at a time.
ive got no idea what this could be at the moment, thers no warning lights or anything on the dash and theres plenty of fuel in.
My first port of call is going to be getting the car serviced.
Anyone ever experienced this before, or have any answers ??
Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Hi Tiger,

I'm pretty sure it'll be mechanical, but if you can give some extra detail I reckon someone will have a better idea. My first thought would be debris in the CV boot causing the driveshaft to kick though.

1. Does it happen if you're moving really slowly, or even not moving at all but with full right lock?
2. Does the symptom change with speed?
3. Is it worse at full lock than only partial?
4. Does it happen in reverse?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Engine misfire when turning right

Hi Tiger - If you are sure it's an engine misfire it could be a cable chaffing somewhere and the insulation has worn through but only making contact when turning right. Have a look at what cables you can see and see if there are any signs of wear and tear.:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for advice this far. Ive jacked the car up and checked it out mechanically to the best of My ability, and i cant seem to find anything wrong.
Further info that i can give is that it doesnt do it from lock to lock at a standstill, doesnt seem to do it in reverse.

What i have noticed tonight though is, driving home from work when the car has stood for 12hours, it does SEEM to be worse when the engine is cold and gets gradually better when it warms up AND it doesn't really do it on slower right hand bends (I.E. less throttle) all these things still point me in the direction of an engine problem.

Hope this extra info helps someone to HELP ME !
Thanks again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not much of a mechanic, but just some ideas to throw in that can be ignored....
1. Not wheel bearings if the engine is affected!(although a slight judder under steering could mean bearings).

2. Have you got plenty of fluid in the power steering tank, the servo will struggle and take power from the engine as a normal practice and this can get worse if fluid is low (as it is only happened on one direction and not during idle probably not).

3. Perished CV joint housing leading to erosion of the CV joint itself, if this is the case the engine would loose power, but normally only to that wheel and shouldn't have any direct affect on the engin itself.

4. As to whether it's am "engine problem" or not, i would doubt.... the engine runs the same whether it turns right or left or straight on, the only thing to change is the direction of the wheels.

Maybe look into what Madnoel says as this is probably the likliest cause.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all again for help, but still no further forwards !!!

I have heard that there is some sort of balance float in top of fuel tank that sways left and right within the tank when you corner. This apparently enables the tank even when very low on fuel to send fuel to the pump so that it doesnt run dry.

Does this sound plausable ???? I have been told to take the plastic cap off on the boot floor to reveal the unit, disconnect pipes and unscrew it.
Then just check for anything obvious. I was going to try this tommorow but wanted a second opion from someone first.

What about injectors, if one was faulty would it be faulty all the time or could it just be intermittant.

I am almost ready to admit this sick puppy into the garage or a diagnostic centre, but am praying that someone will have the answer first.
Thanks again to all.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Going round the bend

Forget about the float thingy in the top of the tank - somebody has been winding you up I'm afraid.:rofl:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts