Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mate has a T plate 1.6 Laguna Estate. When you first turn the key the low fuel warning light comes on with all the others but when he is very low on fuel (the needle couldn't go any lower) it does not come on.

Anyone know what could be causing this? Is there a sensor or gauge somewhere that alerts to low fuel levels that could be faulty?

Thanks,
Brian.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
My mate has a T plate 1.6 Laguna Estate. When you first turn the key the low fuel warning light comes on with all the others but when he is very low on fuel (the needle couldn't go any lower) it does not come on.

Anyone know what could be causing this? Is there a sensor or gauge somewhere that alerts to low fuel levels that could be faulty?

Thanks,
Brian.
This makes me wonder if the light is working properly but the gauge is in error. The easiest way to find out (though it'd cost him in the short term) is to run it right down into the red and see how many litres it takes to brim the tank. If I recall correctly, you should be able to get 60+ litres into the Lag I's tank once the needle gets right to the bottom of the scale.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you mean cost him as in to fill it right up? If so that's cool as that's what he does anyway. Maybe I am being thick but how does filling it right up tell if the gauge is working?

60litres sounds about right. Costs me £55 to fill my lag I right up from empty so that about works out I think.

thanks for your reply.
Brian.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hi,
I know this is a bit of an old thread but I have just baught a 1994 Lag and the fuel light comes on and the needle does not seem to go up. I just stuck £20 worth of juice in it and thought it should come off the empty marker. Any ideas as to where to check if there is a fault with sensor or gauge?
Regards,
Dave

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Sorry I forgot to update on this:

It turned out to be a problem somewhere in the Fuel pump sender unit housed in the top of the Fuel Tank accessible from the boot.

Basically the float part wasn't registering properly so I picked up a second hand one from www.1stchoice.co.uk for about £40 for the whole assembley Fuel pump/sender unit and float and it worked a treat after that.

Just thought I would update in case anyone else has similar issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts