Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, ppl

great forum looks interesting hope you can help,
firstly my 1998 laguna 1.8 rt is missfiring and would you believe im a mechanic and its baffled me totally.

The missfire is mainly on idle ive had the car on the code reader and nothing there, ive changed Map sensor lambo sensor idle sensor spark plugs cam shaft sensor done a leak down test compression test changed coil packs changed inlet and exuast gasket checked head gasket checked relays etc and other bits and bobs all the hoses injectors and everythings fine.

The car has no loss of power at all and is only slightly missing just wanting some other ideas has im worn out with checking parts if you have had something simular that wasnt any of the listed parts ive replaced please post in has id be very apriciative of any ideas.

ive renamed it herbie the darm things got a personality its just wanting the scrap yard but i refuse to give in has its become a challenge its something ive never come accross i deal with cars missfiring alot and always resolved by checking the obvious but renault dont like to make it easy for us and i think the fault this car has is something very silly.

Many thanks

From craig

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Craig.

I'm sure a Member with more Technical knowledge than myself will be able to assist with your post.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
little extra info

heres a little more extra info, i allowed the car to run to the highest temp and the missfire went, it seems when i start from cold just a brief couple of seconds its fine then untill fully warmed up to the point where the fans are keeping it cool the missfire persists, its only a slight miss but enough to feel throughout the car.

once drivin after its got to its highest heat the engine then cools and the missfire is back and then gone again when left to tickover etc are you getting the senario yet lol.

From drool

S

·
0 Posts
Mine has a slight misfire until warmed up. Last time it was the HT leads. Have these been swapped?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers

hi chris please can you inform me more ive had a few mention that friends in the trade where do i look for this sensor

from drool

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my laguna is the 1.8 8valve so if anyone knows where that sensor is please let me know, and chris is the sensor prone to causing missfire in the way im experiancing.
also when i removed the top dead centre sensor it reqiured cleaning is it recommended to replace or should the clean do the trick.

From drool

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It still sounds compression related to me....

My brother had a 2litre 8 valve Galuna,and that had a misfire on idle which seemed to dissapear when you revved it up.We did a standard compression test on it which didn't show anything up,and after exhausting every other avenue,we did another couple of tests when the engine was cold.It showed one of the cylinders was low on compression,which hadn't showed up when we did the first test.We never did take the head off it to see what the problem was as he had a new car coming anyway and decided to dispose of the old Lag,but I suspect it had a valve which was beginning to burn out which sealed it's self when the engine got hot.It also sealed enough to allow the car to run fine when you revved the engine.

I would try another couple of compression checks and go from there.

Also,have you checked the emissions to rule out a Lambda sensor or other fault?

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
hi chris please can you inform me more ive had a few mention that friends in the trade where do i look for this sensor

from drool
Hi there from Leroy, details in the Haynes Bible are very scanty on this subject, no pics but apparently the sensor is screwed into the air cleaner to throttle housing inlet duct, where this actually is I'm afraid I cant help as mine is a 16V and the layout is obviously not the same
Regards Leroy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the replys guys very much apriciated.

Ive already been down that avenue of compression tests and i have had the head off the valves have been checked and regrounded.
so its definately sensor related or something else electrical and this has become a challenge and i hope that when ive repaired it and found the problem it will help others with the same problem.

And yes your right the sensor is in the air duct wich i did examine and assumed it to be a air flow meter rather air temp sensor you are right but ive not had much experiance with lagunas and if i wouldnt of been told id of sworn it to be in the throttle body unit itself. Tommorow im gonna have it out and if thats not the fault check the idle valve regulator and parts assoiciated with air rather than fuel.

whats baffleing me is nothings been picked up on the diag checks so i assume the sensor at fault is functioning and will reqiure a clean id rather it be totally nackered then id of probably found it by now.

Failing that ill just drive it untill it packs up its totally driveable just need to checks it emmissions see what the results are wich is the only time its gonna be a ball ache expecially if the emissions are through the roof as i expect they may be.

From drool

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
happening again

Still missfiring ive now found mayo in the oil so at last i think it maybe the head gasket going causing no real trouble other than a slight misffiring.

please could someone post that have known the same to happen to them and turn out to be the head gasket i still maybe wrong and the mayo maybe a new fault but seems abit strange finding the amount of oily water which was in there.

is the head easy enough to remove any tips would be apriciated has the head is coming off on wednessday its needing mot on thursday so need to resolve or she gets scrapped.

Craig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts