Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 has corrosion on the rigid pipework, causing leaks. Replacements are not available. Will components from any other models fit eg MK II? If I could get replacement unions that screw into the valve block on the steering rack, I could have flexible hose made up to restore the system. Will pipework or unions from any other model fit? Any guidance much appreciated. Pedro.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,459 Posts
Wont you have banjos that screw in ????????????
Without taking the unions out and checking, think we would be guessing here.

If you can get the unions off the car, then any hydraulic company will make you these pipes up..
All they will need is the diameter

But its usually two banjos going through the connectors of the pipes ( Assuming you are calling these the unions )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear ours2012,

Many thanks for your message. The pipework is removed from the steering rack, but the pipes are rusted onto the connectors/unions, so the pipework had to be cut to enable the unions to be unscrewed. There are no banjo fittings on the original equipment. The rigid pipework passes through a central hole in each threaded union, and the end is then swaged/flared into a cone that the union squeezes into the relevant port in the steering rack. The cone does have a rubber "O"-ring behind it to improve the seal.

Numerous hydraulic system repair companies have been unable to match the pipe diameters (10mm flow/14mm return) or the swaged shape of the cone. That is why I wanted to know if the connectors/unions and rigid-pipe swaged ends were identical on the MKI and MKII. If so, I could install new connectors with a short length of straight pipework that would then be connected to the flow from the pump and the return to the reservoir using flexible hydraulic hose.

Once again, I'd welcome your comments.

Pedro.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts