Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Had a Megane now 4 years gave me 3 years of trouble free driving then it his 10 years old and went down hill fast. So want a newer car.

I love the internal styling of Renaults, test drove a vauxhall astra and hated it.

We have set out hearts on a laguna budget 3-4K. Read all the threads in the first 15 pages of this Knowledge base, and have put the fear of god in to me!!!

Are Lagunas really that bad?

Anyway I am unsure between a desil and Petrol module. Both are within my price range with 51-52 plates. I reckon the petrol purely interms of fuel will cost me about 240 and 500 a year to run more depending on my millage.

So my question is, with regards to the turbo/intercooller problems on the desil, are the petrol models cheaper to maintain, if you stick to average milage on a below average millage second hand car?

Cheers,

James

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there James, a pretty straightforward question - with a complicated set of answers!

I would tend to base my purchase decision on 2 main factors; how many miles I cover per year and do I have any specific requirements (such as towing)?

Both engine types range from quite good to very good on fuel, so the savings will depend on what you cover annually - but its worth bearing in mind that the diesel will probably hold its value better, and be easier to sell on. The torque of the diesel makes it a bit easier to tow with.

The petrol version will allow you to buy a newer or higher-spec car for the same money, plus its servicing intervals are longer, but the coil packs are a weakness.

Buy on condition and service history, rather than mileage alone (an extreme reason for a low-mileage car, is that it may have been back & forward to the dealer for repairs).

I would also budget for a good aftermarket warranty (if you are buying privately), as this will mitigate any losses due to unforeseen failures (you know where potential problems lie, so you can check that the warranties cover these components).

Happy hunting!

Paul:)

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
I might be biased as I have an 02 1.8 petrol but when I bought it 3 years ago I knew very little about Lagunas and would have bought either a petrol or diesel.

After joining this forum and finding out about the Turbos eating the engine oil I am glad I got the petrol.

I have averaged 38-40 MPG with it so the deisel does not have that much advantage unless you do high mileages.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,

Are these fairly easy to work on?? For example Are the coils fairly easy to replace you self?

I have done some work on my megane and have enjoyed it for the most part, when not getting wet doing it mind you, but noticed a lot of people take to a garage. Does the ECU actually complicate things so much that if then time its hard to do things your self???

cheers

JAmes

·
Registered
34 Posts

I might be biased as I have an 02 1.8 petrol but when I bought it 3 years ago I knew very little about Lagunas and would have bought either a petrol or diesel.

After joining this forum and finding out about the Turbos eating the engine oil I am glad I got the petrol.

I have averaged 38-40 MPG with it so the deisel does not have that much advantage unless you do high mileages.
I recently bought a 1.8 52 plate, and we love it as for fuel consumption its seems pretty average i leave that for hubby to sort out LOL, towed the caravan fine, which was our main concern after having a 2.2 ford scorpio. I was always against having a french car LOL, but i am really happy with the Laguna II it has everything i want, only sownside i do have is the child lock system as occasionally when driving and you rest your arm on the door u can unlock it.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Coils are very easy to replace as are the spark plugs underneath them, I have had no trouble with mine, seems to affect Scenics most.

The ECU is OK, the biggest problem seems to be rain water leaks, Check all drain holes at least once a month......2 under the bonnet both corners under the wipers, 1 in each front corner of the sunroof well. If these get blocked the water can find it's way into electrical components including the ECU I presume this would apply to both petrol and diesel. I have done all servicing myself except for cam belt, just like any other car. Just keep the under engine tray bolts lubricated or they can seize up.

With help from this forum you should be OK.

Hello,

Are these fairly easy to work on?? For example Are the coils fairly easy to replace you self?

I have done some work on my megane and have enjoyed it for the most part, when not getting wet doing it mind you, but noticed a lot of people take to a garage. Does the ECU actually complicate things so much that if then time its hard to do things your self???

cheers

JAmes

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
if laguna dci, then only one made after 2003, the earlier models of laguna 2 had too many problems, about the petrol engines i never heard much so they should be ok

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Firstly, thanks for your replies.

I made my mind up and I am now the proud owner off a Petrol 1.8 Renault Laguna (well when I go back to pick it up tomorrow). Hopefully its not a lemon!

Its done 55K mile so slightly above average, a feb 08 MOT and he let me PX my aging P reg megane, which had a few problem, so no stress of selling it. Paid £2900 for it which I dont consider to be a bad price as the body was clean of any damage or scratches and it drove well! My only concern is it had 5 owners :crazy: But did get him to throw in a oil change...

Cheers again

James

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
5 owners? :crazy: that aint so good, one a year since new - I think I'd be a bit concerned at that too, but you never know. Hope it works out Ok for you. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aye that is a worry!

He's taking my old car of me which is a bit of a wreck for a fair price. I know he has been trying to flog it for as much as 5K for a few months before slowly dropping its price and as he doesn't have much room so I know he is desperate to get shut.... Hopefully I got it cheap out of desperation - end of wishful thinking :)

It came with a full service history.. I am tempted to get the timing belt done as its between what reanult and hynes reconmends but money is a bit tight so may wait a bit longer. I'll give it a full service my self anyway and just keep an eye out for the common faults...

JAmes

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
i would definatley get the cam belt changed for piece of mind, i had mine done as soon as i bought it. had my 1.9 Dci just over a year now. I know what you mean about reading the posts and scarying you to death was the same for me. but to be quite honest ive found loads of tips on here for preventions and ive had no serious problems. New key card but that was before i found a link on here for a guy who fixes them aswell. enjoy i love mine.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
the problems with the dci engines are ovverated. Done 11k in mine in 5 month , no major issues. Also did 900 miles on the weekend and the car was perfect :d

1 - 12 of 12 Posts