Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps

How often should Mk2 Lag bushes have to be replaced ?

MOT last year, local garage said they replaced them

MOT this year, different garage, said they need done ! Checked them up on a ramp, they're worn and rust on them. One is ripped ! The car retained slight wobble at rear after MOT last year, so suspected they were not replaced.

Do bushes wear down that much in a year !?! What's the warranty/lifespan of Bushes ?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,513 Posts
How long is a piece of string?
While I would expect bushes to have at least 5 year life, use, mileage, road condition can all conspire to reduce that.
Add in that many aftermarket replacement bushes are not made to the same standard as OEM originals, indeed are often shockingly poor.
And even the best will only have a 12 month guarantee and that will likely have strings and conditions that make it worthless.
Then the question of were the bushes actually replaced last year?
Didn't you look? First thing I do if I actually ask a garage to do a job is check if it was done...but I am a cynic.

Rust on bushes is normal after a year though that statement would be qualified against how much rust.
Ripped, a big pothole can do that.
Worn???? dunno, judgement call on whether the wear is normal or excessive.

If a reputable company that did them last year, probably worth a complaint and discussion with them.
Certainly if you have any sort of written guarantee that gives 12 months
Otherwise, expect the sort of answer as above along with whatever else they can think of to avoid doing the job again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long is a piece of string?
While I would expect bushes to have at least 5 year life, use, mileage, road condition can all conspire to reduce that.
Add in that many aftermarket replacement bushes are not made to the same standard as OEM originals, indeed are often shockingly poor.
And even the best will only have a 12 month guarantee and that will likely have strings and conditions that make it worthless.
Then the question of were the bushes actually replaced last year?
Didn't you look? First thing I do if I actually ask a garage to do a job is check if it was done...but I am a cynic.

Rust on bushes is normal after a year though that statement would be qualified against how much rust.
Ripped, a big pothole can do that.
Worn???? dunno, judgement call on whether the wear is normal or excessive.

If a reputable company that did them last year, probably worth a complaint and discussion with them.
Certainly if you have any sort of written guarantee that gives 12 months
Otherwise, expect the sort of answer as above along with whatever else they can think of to avoid doing the job again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks DD. I use car for 25 mile trip each way (motorway) every weekend. Straight road really. And then to go to local supermarket. I do about 7-8000 miles a year. This past year less. I'll see what they say today, as they will speak to their parts people, as I will. Need to find out shelf life of bushes and who manufactured them.

If I have to get them done again, locally, I will ask garage to retain worn bushes. Any way to check if they are original ones ?

Ive never known bushes to go in a year. And I should have checked at the time, but was unable to , as car was off ramp and it was almost shutting time and they had other cars in and up on ramps. Do I trust them....nope. Thanks again :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts