Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheers mates!

I`ve had this Laguna for more than a year now and overall love the car, but I just can`t get used to the ride quality.
Older Renaults used to float over any bumps perfectly.
The Laguna III soaks bigger bumps nicely but seems to get upset on shorter imperfections, way too much vibration gets transferred to the cabin and now during the winter it is most pronounced. I have 16 inch alloys and tried lowering tyre pressure, helps a little but still nowhere near an E class or older Lagunas.
I had written to Koni if they have any plans to release the Koni FSD for the Laguna and the reply was negative.

Has anyone fiddled with this problem and came to any solutions? It would be awesome to make it ride well, it`s such a wonderful car and why not make it perfect if we can.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Can't offer any solution but thought I would just say that I totally agree. I'm on my fourth Lag, a 1.5 Dynamique TomTom which I bought new 2 years ago and after thinking that the seats were no where near as comfortable as my previous Lags I soon decided that the ride was nowhere near as good either. This was quickly followed by wondering why there is such a dangerous offset between the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal, caught my foot on the edge of the brake pedal twice now, luckily not in an emergency situation so I had time to sort it.
Will be watching this post to see what comments it gets.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I think this problem is two-fold; manufacturers 'benchmark' their cars nowadays for sportier handling, which results in stiffer bodyshells and firmer damping.

And secondly, the quality of road surfaces has diminished considerably over the last few years, therefore, one issue exacerbates the other.

Changing suspension is a difficult and costly way to follow, especially given that every change will have an effect on some other aspect of vehicular behaviour.

Personally, I would tackle this issue by looking at more 'comfort' orientated tyres, as these are the parts making contact with the road, I'd expect them to have the largest influence on the resultant ride quality.

HTH,

Paul

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I would be looking at the springs and bushes also. Stiffer springs may result in a rougher ride but, over larger bumps, you would also notice it. Sloppy springs tend to make the slightly rough surface more noticeable given the dampeners are doing most of the work there.

Seat cushions might help!

Mike

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
You're quite right there Paul, local roads are much worse now. Motorway driving is fine (and I think Renault had hopes of selling the Lag in bucket loads for company reps - these hopes were probably dashed as Renault couldn't shake off the unreliability issues of the previous model).
I've been giving serious thought to changing the horrible (IMO) 16 inch alloys for some aftermarket 17s but I reckon the lower profile tyres needed to keep the radius the same, so as not to put the speedy right out, would only make the ride bumpier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had also written to Bilstein if they plan on selling their Dampatics for the Laguna and got no response.

For now the best solution for me is Michelin Alpin 205-60-16 tyres and fiddling with the air pressure.

I`ve come to the conclusion that the rear tyres can take bigger pressures with very little ride spoiling while the front ones are more sensitive to it.

If you come up with any other comfortable tyres or any other solutions, please keep us posted.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,253 Posts
I liked the use a cushion recomendation.

consider using oil shocks on the front axle and gas on the rear to keep the stability good on cornering.

you are already on 16" so you cannot go any smaller, increasing the tyre profile might be possible x55 to x65 but the speedo needs reprogramming on the size used.

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Ive seen reviews,especially on the coupe stating that the ride is much harder than previous versions.
Ive seen reviews on my car,(meg coupe III) with like 3 different opinions
a)Great blend of handling/cornering ability and renault engineers have the damping just right to give a composed ride on rough surfaces.
b)Ride harsh on rough surfaces,but handling and cornering precise.
c)ride harsh all over and cornering and especially steering feedback poor.
It could depend on what you drove last.Ive allways found geman cars a bit harsh,the last renault I drove.a renault 9 seemed really comfy, but did wallow a bit.

Id go for b)

My last car before the megane,was a bit harsh but I got used to it over the years.Initially I was trying all sorts of pressure changes in and around the (low load,low speed) and hi load/hi speed settings) pasted inside the fuel cap.

On the standard springs and standard 65 profile tyres,it(the megane) was comfy enough..about the same as my previous car(tigra mk1).
The "green tyres" were quite noisy at speed on a motorway..strange.

With different wheels and 35 profile tyres for sure there were more crashes over road irregularities , but nothing omg and feedback was improved+ hi speed motorway tyre roar was less.

With lowered springs..and same dampers(15 mm front and 25 mm back) I was expecting very bad news on ride quality, but there isnt(to me).
It all depends what youre used to I suppose.

Best overall ride quality tyres I had were hankook..compared to a same size michelin.

Since there are no adjustable dampers yet for lag 3,(a stage 2 coilover kit with adjustable dampers has appeared for meg III recently ,but for 1500 ill pass),
Youre probably limited to 2 things for now.
go up a tyre profile size.
The speedo innacurracy buisness I wouldnt worry about. Going up a profile size will probably increase the speedo accuracy!.
Your total mileage/trip mileage/mpg etc would be thrown out but as long as you dont go over 5% total diameter increase your abs etc will work just fine..Ive found.
The other thing you could do is carry around as much weight as possible..full fuel tank etc,
Heavy car rides better than an unladen one .It would adversely affect mpg etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, winter is knocking on the door and once again the shocks are cold in the morning and thus the ride quality gets worse. I`m using Hankook`s this time and it`s good but every time I go sit a
Does anyone know if the Lag II front springs fit on a Lag III? They should be 20% softer and that would be ideal. I don`t mind the rear springs, just need it more cushy upfront.

·
Registered
26 Posts
First off I changed the steering rack, that helped a little, it had a little play. Then I changed from 18" to 16" in the hope of improved handling and road-holding. It kind of worked. But I suspect a lot of it was moving from budget to Dunlop.

I was in an E39 (BMW530i) before this car and I have to say the Laguna feels quite uncertain in corners in comparison. My other car is a Z4. That too feels very precise. There's sometimes a moment in fast corners in the Laguna where it feels like it has just lurched over a little. I'm not fond of that moment.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
I was in an E39 (BMW530i) before this car and I have to say the Laguna feels quite uncertain in corners in comparison. My other car is a Z4. That too feels very precise. There's sometimes a moment in fast corners in the Laguna where it feels like it has just lurched over a little. I'm not fond of that moment.

tbh oranges and lemons, I think you 'may' be expecting too much of the Laguna, if you are getting the car to feel if lurching on corners, I'm guessing you are trying to drive the Laguna to it's limit and beyond... yes you could improve it by newer softer springs / shocks etc but at what point do you decide thats as good as it gets....
The only thing I can think of that may help (if you are sure everything has no play or wear etc) is a Full lazer alignment to check everything is square (accident damage or wear) although Camber / castor angles are pretty much set from factory and only toe-in and out is adjustable nowadays...

Reactions: mustapha mondeo

·
Registered
26 Posts
It was a lazer alignment which identified the play in the steering rack.
It's a lovely car to cruise in, I think it may be my reluctance to touch the brakes that causes the problem.

I just need to get used to it.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
It was a lazer alignment which identified the play in the steering rack.
It's a lovely car to cruise in, I think it may be my reluctance to touch the brakes that causes the problem.

I just need to get used to it.

:)

Racing school / track days - 1st thing you learn about corners, slow in, fast out......

Reactions: mustapha mondeo

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,954 Posts
Correct Rear Springs on the car, Not cheap after Market..

These make a major difference, as the faster you go, the front tries to lift, as the car is not sitting as high at the back as it should, you are talking less than half an inch here at the back..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was half wrong about the handling. I did need to get used to it, and I needed decent tyres. Its not sharp but it is progressive and more than half decent now. Low noise tyres seem to have made a massive difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts