Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Laguna 1.8 (8v) RT Sport (R Plate); Car was running perfect when I popped into shop on the way home from work. When I got back in, it started fine but withing 5 seconds or so was running totally erratic, bad idle, occasionally picks up but not for long before its 'coughing & spluttering' again. There was no way to get any power to move the car so got it towed home.

Other symptoms include little exhaust blow out but has a noticable smell of petrol. I removed exhaust from the down pipe thinking there might be a blockage causing back pressure - but to no avail as car behaved the same.

NB: car always starts fine before it starts the 'coughing & spluttering' again.

Could this be one of the electronic sensors thats failed? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No warning lights came on at the time and nothing is on now or comes on when the car is running in this sorry state!. I've checked all the inlet pipes / manifold etc and everything seems fine.

The reason I'm thinking sensors is that one minute the car was fine (and has been for ages with nothing to indicate an up-and-comming problem) the next it was'nt. Its as though something failed catastrophically when I started up the engine.

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,253 Posts
its either TDC sensor or one of the coil packs thats playing up.
my bets on one or both coil packs starting to give up the ghost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts