Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that there has been issues with the rear window of Laguna II sport tourer models, whereas they have been exploding out over. I've had this issue twice in the last year and it would seem that the Renault customer service have not had any complaints,:crazy: although on this site there has been reports of complaints to Renault. I've been waiting for 3 weeks for a replacement window and have now been told from Renault that it may take until after Easter to receive delivery from France. Has anyone else had the same type of problem recently?:mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes,

This happened to me two weeks ago.

Postman knocked on my door, he said he heared a pop looked around and saw glass on the road behind my car. There was no body else around.
( I gave him a tip at christmas so he did not do it )

I concluded that the gas struts had stressed the glass.

I got a window from a local breakers and fitted that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Renault are acting ignorant on this one, they won't accept responsibility and after reading other comments Autoglass state that this is a common problem. I'm currently waiting for feedback from Renault on the delivery date of the glass, the story so far is that the 1st date I was given for despatch was 10/3 and now there has been another order sent to France and that they want to send all of the windows together to keep costs down. I was then informed it would be the end of March and now I've been told the end of April. As it is I'm having to hire a car which I've had for 3 weeks and up to now it's cost me £700 - by the time I receive the glass, I may as well buy another car!! Won't be a Renault that's for sure, even though I've bought 3 in the past.

·
Registered
8 Posts
April delivery!!! thats no good.

Are you dealing with renault for waranty reasons?

If not use an independant window fitter or get it done on your car insurance.

I got a quote from my local window fitter for £260 fitted. He had no issues finding one..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, It's not under warranty. The car is 4 years old. Already tried Autoglass and other major glass dealers and through my insurance. No one has got this rear glass window in stock. We tried Renault as a last resort. It seems as though the customer service is only interested if you have a brand new car, in the past there have been other issues with the car and Renault have always been very good, there was also an issue with the front windscreen last year where it was blotching and become virtually impossible to see out of. Renault payed my excess on the insurance when Autoglass replaced it. About this time last year the back window exploded and we didn't give it much thought until it happened again 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Might be a good idea to do what i did and get a second hand one from a breakers. They are not to bad to change . 4 bolts and some clips..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Yep, that would probably be a good idea, I didn't think of that. Will try to find a one tomorrow. Thanks for the advise.

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,254 Posts
hi
it sounds like the rear hatch hinge brackets are not correctly adjusted and are forcing too much pressure on the glass from the rubber surround along the top.
the entire boot will have to be removed and adjusted with new glass fitted before refitting on the car.
the hinges are only adjustable for glass up/down relative to the boot with the boot removed, cos theres no space to get a torx in there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2005 espace and this happend to my wife, she was driving down a road with no one around and the ear window exploded, had it fixed next day £75 excess on insurance, aske the fitter and he seemed to think it may be a stress fracture !

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wondered what had happened to the rear screen on my estate, I was travelling along a country road, nothing passing me, when explosion is right, dog was not impressed, I thought perhaps somebody must have fired a gun at us. :confused: It caused me a lot of trouble getting a replacement and £75 excess. No wonder insurance prices are flying high.
Perhaps Renault should pay!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eventually got a window from a breakers near Manchester, ordered it yesterday and they delivered it today which is brilliant! Pity Renault couldn't be of more help. It's getting fitted tomorrow. Wish I had done this three weeks ago, it would have saved a lot of money in car hire. Still waiting for Renault to get back with more feedback but not holding my breath.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add another one to the list of the exploding rear windscreen club. Have got a Laguna II estate (2001), parked up home last night....60mins later bang.
Just been on phone with Autoglass, and yep none in stock in the UK, and cannot confirm when any will be coming from Renault :(

Stop press! Just as I was about to hit submit reply, they have called back and got one in stock, was not showing on their stock. As was ordered for someone else, whose car has now been written off, so have just put it out of the way in the warehouse.....need to go to their depot, which is less than 30mins away and will also get it fitted there and then for £65! :d

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
This happened to us Christmas 09 on the M1 at motorway speed :d, on our way to the inlaws on Boxing Day. Wife, kids in the back and dog in the boot, he was not impressed. In fact at first he was so freaked I thought he was going to jump out onto the motorway.

Pulled over and the AA took us the rest of the way to Brum and had a new one fitted by Autoglass the next day (insurance). The fitter said this was happening a lot and showed me a workshop full of cars with busted rear windows, Seat, Freelander and others. He said they were working on the theory that the glass was being stressed by constant use of rear window heaters in cold weather weakening the glass.

Whatever it was it was scary and a pain in the ****.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
dog in the boot, he was not impressed. In fact at first he was so freaked I thought he was going to jump out onto the motorway.
Sounds scary! If it was our dog, he's such a wimp he would've jumped the other way onto the rear seats and cowered on the floor somewhere...

I'm surprised at all the other cars that've had it happen, I thought it was a Renault thing.

I wonder if a similar thing has ever happened to any of the heated front windscreens in Fords....that would not be nice (although I guess front windscreens are laminated..)

Andy

·
Registered
32 Posts
this happened to me while i was at a Mcds drive thru !! i nearly s--t myself. AA autoglass came out, said it was common and would have a 3 week wait. Rang them next morning and they said i could have a privacy glass replacement f.o.c (apart from my excess)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's a continuation: it happened to me this morning - parked for shopping, came back to car to find glass all over the place and witnesses wondering what was going on. Having read your histories above I'm intrigued as to what this story will turn out to be. Mine is an 07 reg Laguna, incident reported to a nationwide windscreen company at around 2.00pm on 3 November 2015: they cannot get to me before Monday 9th Nov - but guess what, we're seriously not happy about that - don't know if they will be able to do better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After comment by Hondo please note this is for real: I recorded the incident with the intention of reporting what happened subsequently. I've had a further hopeful response from the company concerned and will keep you all posted in good faith

·
Registered
4 Posts
Problem solved! My wife encouraged the well-known national contractor to do better than the original timetable - they offered to do the job Thursday 5th November from 11.00am. They turned up on time, finished at 12.30pm. A good job, applause due all round from one happy cheese-monger - thanks guys

1 - 19 of 19 Posts