Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have an espace mk2 which needs a new rack hence will probably be off road soon for a week or so. We really need another car that will tow occasionally a horse box ( the espace will do most of it) so now is probably the time to get one. I was thinking of the laguna. How are the older Lagunas for reliability rust etc and how easy are they to work on. Should I avoid any models and look out for certain faults. I like the Espace having had one now for 7 years and was thinking of a peugeot 405 or Mondeo as an additional old runaround, but maybe the Laguna would also be an option. I want one for under £500 so will be an older one.
Any advice would be welcome thanks Rob

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Compared to an Espace,anything is easy to work on!.Are you changing the rack yourself?.If so,good luck!

I've got my doubts wether one would pull a horsebox any sense,but if you do plan to this I'd avoid the 1.8 8 valve engine.The 2.0 is stronger,and if you buy carefully you should be OK.

Structural rust is not a problem,so thats one less thing to worry about.Gearboxes can be a weak point,and the earlier ones do tend to have a few electrical problems,but all in all the Lag 1 is great car.I'd have one over a comparable 405 or Mondeo anyday.:)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Or try and get the 2.2d not a quick car but should tow a horsebox the 2 I had were reliable and not bad to work on and would return 40+mpg there is a few 2.2td's but not many

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi i have the new shape laguna nice looking car but far too many common faults I have spoken to people with the older model and they have never had any problems. but i would recommend the mondeo as i had 1 for a few years without any problems. i sold it last year and have regretted it ever since

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. My dad has just offered me his old 405 (though newr than my espace) as he is getting a newer golf so that will do me for now.
Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts