Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Laguna (1.6 16v 2000) squeaks when it is idling. Its not a belt squeak - it seems to be coming from the gearbox / clutch area. It's been like this since we bought it over a year ago, and I was told that it's probably because it had been parked up for a long time prior to us buying it and just needed a good run. The noise is still there though after over a year.

You can see a part that spins, probably in the gearbox (sorry for the technical explanation) next to the engine block and this appears to be quite rusty. Not sure if it is meant to be like that or not (or indeed if it is meant to be showing through a 2" square cut-out) but when I sprayed wd40 down it, it did quieten down a bit (you're probably gonna say I shouldn't have done that!)

Any ideas what the noise / cure for this is? Help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Does the noise go if the clutch is depressed?

My Lag does exactly the same,and it's the clutch release bearing.I'm going to leave it until the clutch gives up.....:d

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lagdti... I'm pretty certain that yes, it does go away with the clutch pressed.

Can this cause any other problems? If not, I'd be happy to leave it too... clutch seems pretty ok at the moment.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Usually it's a sign that the clutch and release bearing are getting a little tired,although there are no signs of any clutch slip on mine yet.....(I hope I haven't tempted fate!).

In extreme circumstances the bearing can break up,but if yours has been like it that long,I suspect it'll last a while longer yet.

I'm going to leave mine until it gives up completely.....or I sell it on.:rolleyes:(Never buy a car off of a mechanic!:d)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar squeal, that I thought was a belt squeal, but seems to be coming from the right hand side back of the engine, I would be interested to know how far you press the clutch to make the squeal go, because I find with 'My Squeal' I only have to rest my foot on the clutch pedal i.e not actually engaging the clutch itself (approx 2-3mm movement or taking up the slack) and the noise stops.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
UPDATE - Clutch Now Gone!

I thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one.

After 22 months of ownership and with that on-going squeaking noise at idle ever since we've had the car AND without any sign of clutch slip etc, the clutch has burnt out!

I haven't driven the car myself yet, but apparently it still drives. My dad took it to our local mechanic as the car (although driveable) was making 'noises' and then there was a severe rubbery burning smell. The mechanic said the clutch has gone.

The cheapest clutch kit that I have found is at EuroCar Parts (just under £60 including VAT - Valeo / LUK). Is the release bearing a part of the kit, or do I need to buy it seperately? Is the release bearing the same as a thrust bearing? Do I need one? And anything thing else we should get changed to avoid future problems / costs of removing gearbox etc?

TIA.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, drove the car earlier. It is still very driveable BUT, the squeal is now omnipresent regardless of whether the clutch is in or out. The clutch feels heavier, and there is also clutch judder which wasn't there before, and the smell of burning clutch.

The squeal goes away during driving but is back during gear changes etc.

Will be buying the clutch kit in the morning and will see what's in the kit.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought a LuK clutch Kit which is being fitted.

Even though the car still drove to the last miinute, the mechanic is surprised we were able to change gears because the thrust bearing was actually broken:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts