Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went back to my Laguna last Sunday (in a pay and display car park, to add insult to injury!) and the car decided not to undo the steering lock. Unlocked the doors fine, and displayed the 'Insert Card' message on the dash display, but still said that even when the card was in :( . Steering lock still on (but radio and satnav functions came on properly), and of course the Start button didnt start the car.

Had it towed in to Renault, who after ignoring it in the car park for a couple of days, then had a perfunctory look and diagnosed a fault in the "electronic steering lock". "No idea exactly what", says the spectacularly unhelpful mechanic, completely unpeturbed that his £82.50 diagnostic fee gave me the equivalent of "its broken" as a diagnosis. "Its a sealed box, see? We'll have to replace the whole unit, and its £290. Oh, and two hours labour to fit it and train it to your key".:steam: :steam:

To rub salt in, the car wasnt ready for collection today and they didnt bother telling me that till I phoned up to ask what time to collect it. Near £500 bill in total. So, anyone got any advice on this? Its it a common failing? Could I ask Renault for a contribution?

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Can you post up some details about the car such as length of time is has been out of warranty etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
number one it doesn't take 2 hours to fit a streeing lock computer (more like 30 mins). number two it does not have to be trained to the key card. This is a simple job that involves a 30 torx socket to turn the opposite threaded bolt out of the computerlock. The only trouble they might have is getting the computer lock off, as the bolt will not come out with the steering lock on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forums. Can you post up some details about the car such as length of time is has been out of warranty etc.
Hmmm yeah sorry, forgot about that. Its a '02 (52) 1.9Dci, Privelege I think. Had it for about 30 months now, and when we got it it had a RAC parts warranty that we've kept up ever since. It did pay out once for a window motor, but when we phoned them about this they reckon steering column lock aint covered.

r4cer1 said:
number one it doesn't take 2 hours to fit a streeing lock computer (more like 30 mins). number two it does not have to be trained to the key card. This is a simple job that involves a 30 torx socket to turn the opposite threaded bolt out of the computerlock. The only trouble they might have is getting the computer lock off, as the bolt will not come out with the steering lock on.
yeah I got the idea that they were swinging it a bit with the labour charge. That suits me good - when we phoned today there was a fair bit of cursing that they were having to strip the dash out to get the column lock off and apparently they hadnt anticipated that. hehehe. I cant wait til Tuesday when we collect it, wanna see if they try to charge more labour. I almost hope they do - it'd be such a lovely start to the day to rip some threads off their muppet receptionist :devil: :d

·
Registered
2 Posts
just one last tip. Ask them to show you where on there diaolgys system it states 2 hours ( dialogys is a computer that gives out all part numbers and times for each indivdual job e.t.c). I bet they can't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts