Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 2000 'X' reg Renault Laguna 1.9 DCi Sport Estate with 77K on the clock. It seems fantastic to drive and has a full service history up until 65K. Looking through the receipts I can see no mention of the timing belt being done so I am obviously planning on doing this ASAP. I have saw 'timing belt kits' for around £80 or just the belt on its own for £12-30. What's recommended as I have saw different opinions on this. Also is this a job I can do myself or should I go to a garage? I am generally fairly good with cars but I have never done this before.

Any advice would be appreciated or any links to where I should buy my timing belt from or any recommended garages in my area? I am located in Glasgow.

Thanks,
Brian.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Timing Belt

Always go for the kit as it is essential for the life of the new belt. There is a strict sequence of vital things to do when doing this job. Unless you feel comfortable doing the job yourself - take it to a reputable garage. If you get it wrong you could wreck the engine.:)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi Brian and a warm welcome to Renault Forums, I have to agree with madnoel10 about cambelts, always better to be safe than sorry and I'ts a lot lot cheaper than bent valves etc. As suggested always go for the cambelt kit as this includes new tensioners, I f your not happy about doing this yourself have a search through the recommended dealers and garages thread here on the Forum and see if there is someone near to you.
Regards Leroy

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Timing Belt

I found a garage close to my work that will do the timing belt only for £110 or the whole kit for £180 so I am going for the whole kit. It turns out I am the 4th customer he has had for my office and all the others are very happy with this work so I am booking it in soon.
For the record Arnold Clark wanted £395 for the same job.

Thanks for your help.

Brian.

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Well done Brian, that sounds very reasonable, I had mine done last year before we went to France and it was £290.00 including vat with the complete kit
Regards Leroy

A

·
0 Posts
I found a garage close to my work that will do the timing belt only for £110 or the whole kit for £180 so I am going for the whole kit. It turns out I am the 4th customer he has had for my office and all the others are very happy with this work so I am booking it in soon.
For the record Arnold Clark wanted £395 for the same job.

Thanks for your help.

Brian.

GOOD PRICE BRIAN,

can you post the details of the garage for other members if you are satisfied with the job

thanks mag1

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got this done yesterday. Garage is called FastFit in Addiewell near Livingston. Would definately recommend them. Their number is 01501-763186.

Brian.

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us, that is a very good result regarding price, well done
Regards Leroy

·
Registered
10 Posts
To throw in my two cents...

I've just had mine done by Steve at Renault World near the Royal Hospital in Liverpool. Charged me £180 in total to fit a new renault timing belt (51 1.9dci Laguna Sports Tourer). I was quoted £400 by the main dealer at Liverpool and St.Helens.

He's also just done my front pads for £50 all in. Again cheaper than the £80-£100 from main dealer.

I got the recommendation for him elsewhere in these forums. Really nice guy and takes time to explain things on the phone. If he can't do the jobs he's straight and honest and will tell you he can't do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Laguna 1.9 dCi

I just got the haynes manual for my 1.9 dCi and it says 1.9 litre engine. Timing belt should be 45k but it recommends 36k.

Phoned renault and they tell me 72k.

I would like to know the truth anyone ever had a timing belt snap before 72k what is the general opinion on this..

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
72000 miles or 5 years whichever the sooner.....I would change it before then though......

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Spub - if you read the Haynes manual it refers to changing th etiming belt at 36,000 or every four years whatever comes first. Renault recommend every 70,000 or 5 years whichever comes first. Personally I woul dnot let my car go beyond 50,000 or 4 years:)
Yeh I have heard of belts failing at 30,000

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the response but it doesn't help my anxiety and i cannot afford the £300 +++

I feel that if the service manual states 72k then that is the mileage it should be changed at. I would imagine that there is some leverage in that value(stated by renault) in that realistically you would be looking at 80k+ or 6 years before a timing belt would be liable to break.

I will take my chances and change it at 4 years or 60k unless anyone here can really give me some evidence to think otherwise..

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
When I got round to having the head gasket done on the Megane I of course had the timing (and all other) belt done. It wasn't due for the belt for another 10000+ miles, but the state of it alarmed me somewhat! Really really cracked. The mechanic reckoned it was on the brink of letting go. I reckon 50000 milesish for a replacement, as that was the mileage when it was changed (Renault say 62000 I think for my car). Expensive job I know, yet much cheaper than an engine rebuild!

Bob

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
how about guarantee on a belt exchange, if it snaps like 20k miles after exchange it's a tough job to come out clean - hard to blame anyone

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I just got the haynes manual for my 1.9 dCi and it says 1.9 litre engine. Timing belt should be 45k but it recommends 36k.

Phoned renault and they tell me 72k.

I would like to know the truth anyone ever had a timing belt snap before 72k what is the general opinion on this..
When I was calling round garages asking about this they all told me 72k or 5 years and that was a mix of main dealers and local garages. When I got the car it had 79k on it and when I got the timing belt done the car had done about 80k and was 7 years old.

Brian.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the response but it doesn't help my anxiety and i cannot afford the £300 +++

I feel that if the service manual states 72k then that is the mileage it should be changed at. I would imagine that there is some leverage in that value(stated by renault) in that realistically you would be looking at 80k+ or 6 years before a timing belt would be liable to break.

I will take my chances and change it at 4 years or 60k unless anyone here can really give me some evidence to think otherwise..
where are you located? My local garage in Livingston did the full timing belt and all the kit for £150 fully fitted. Dealers wanted around £400. If you shop around you should be be able to get a far better price than £300.

Brian.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well done Brian, that sounds very reasonable, I had mine done last year before we went to France and it was £290.00 including vat with the complete kit
Regards Leroy
So do you think my local Renault dealer is taking the p**s when he has quoted me £681 for replacing the cambelt on my 2001 Privelige 2.0?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts