Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My laguna I idles at 2000 revs and won't drop below.
I've changed the air filter and even fitted another carburettor from another car. It's eating petrol.
It's as if the automatic choke is staying on.
Runs OK otherwise....
Any info much appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have just had a very similar sympton with my own car.
It turned out to be a missing plug on the left hand side of the inlet manifold (as viewed from the front of the car).
There is a small tube which leads to the fuel injector rail and right next to it there is a spigot of about 10mm diameter.
Somehow I had managed to lose the plug when I was changing the cylinder head.
I managed to get a suitable replacement from work and fitted it, after that all was well.
Hope this helps,
Won.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I have just had a very similar sympton with my own car.
It turned out to be a missing plug on the left hand side of the inlet manifold (as viewed from the front of the car).
There is a small tube which leads to the fuel injector rail and right next to it there is a spigot of about 10mm diameter.
Somehow I had managed to lose the plug when I was changing the cylinder head.
I managed to get a suitable replacement from work and fitted it, after that all was well.
Hope this helps,
Won.

Sounds like your talking about the air temperature sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
POssibly the idle control vale or coolant temp sensor - does it get better once the engine is warm?
I appreciate your reply.
No it doesn't get better. I've changed the whole throttle unit for another one and didn't make any difference so I think the icv is ruled out. Where's the temp sensor and how do you test it? Just pull the wire off?
Somebody suggested that it could be the ECU.
Does that sound feasible?
Bob

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I appreciate your reply.
No it doesn't get better. I've changed the whole throttle unit for another one and didn't make any difference so I think the icv is ruled out. Where's the temp sensor and how do you test it? Just pull the wire off?
Somebody suggested that it could be the ECU.
Does that sound feasible?
Bob
Coolant temp sensor i think is on the right hand side of the engine (looking from the front of the car) If its anything like the 16v version of this engine then the icv is separate to the throttle body.

·
Registered
26 Posts
not sure Bob, its different to mine. Looks like the one on the right is the water temp sensor.
I was refering to something entirely different. My problem was with the inlet manifold, set at the rear of the engine at the top.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My engine doesn't look like the one in the Haynes manual.

I've taken a pic here: http://www.bob123.f2s.com/engine.jpg
Is the temp sensor one of these or are they for something else?
It turned out to be the one on the right and I got one from the scrap yard for a pound.
The only trouble is that it cost me £120 to find out.
The moral of the story is: Always try the cheapest things first!
Thanks for everybody's input. I do appreciate it.
Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts