Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to say on may the 6th i shall be taking my clio On a long trip from harrow to lands end to john o groats and back

wish me luck

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Antz - good luck with the journey - safe driving - would be a nice opportunity to do a MPG check. Also you could send us weekly or monthly reports on your progress LOL!
As a matter of interest how many driving hours do you reckon and have you a relief driver with you. Good gracious this could turn into fly-on-the-wall documentary.

All the very best of luck and keep us posted.:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Maybe his cars so fast that he can time travel....:rolleyes:

Why are you doing it?.Is it for charity or is it just something you've always wanted to do?.:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Keep us informed as I am sure some Members could meet you on your Journey, I for one could meet you on your journey through the Highlands.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey sorry was a typo i meant to say june the 6th, yeah i just got my breakdown cover sorted today,

yeah im going with a mate, the reason for doing it was i always wanted to do it so when i got my licence gave me no excuses not to.

yeah it would be cool to meet up with some people.

im starting on wed the 6th leaving harrow at 6am for landsend via thruxton and stonehenge, then get the official pic done, and make our way to hereford, go to a pub have a few pints then sleep

then thursday cross the england/wales border and head for wrexham apparently they is some good roads round there then head for blackpool, then make our way to edinburgh. go to a pub have a couple of pints then sleep

friday head for loch ness (catch him bung him in the boot lol!)and head for John O'Groats then you guessed it go to a pub celebrate

saturday leave for carlisle pub then sleep then sunday leave for gt yarmouth then back to harrow

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Great stuff,

I could meet when you pass through Inverness, Get some Pics and post them on the Forum to keep everyone posted on your progress.

This would make a great thread on how you see the Country.

Good Luck I'm sure you won't need it.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah mate that would be cool we can try and make inverness on the thursday but will probably end up being the friday.

Where did ya want to meet up?

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I will be on the back off the Loch Ness Monster ...

Not sure do you have a route map, I will travel up on the Friday from Moray , you will be coming up from Edinburgh.

Jeez you will pass through some of the most breathtaking scenery in Britain on your travels, It makes me want to do the journey now maybe next year.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Are you sure exactly how far and how long this trip will take?
If you intend to leave Harrow at 6.00am and drive all the way to LandsEnd and back to Hereford before closing time you will need to drive non stop and break a few speed limits on the way.
Stonehenge to the Cornish border will take you approx 3 hrs. Cornish border to Land's End will take another 2hrs.
The return journey just for that part of the trip will be 10hrs.

Sorry to sound so negative, but if you have only recently got your licence you will be an inexperienced driver, this is a big undertaking to take. I'm sure you have thought everything through properly and wish you all the best with the journey. For your own safety ( and others) though don't drive for too long without a break. This sounds like a geat trip, as otto says, makes me want to do it myself, but you are better to do it in a few days more than try and do it in 4 and not finish it......

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OTTOMAN: yeah i got my free tomtom to get me places mate so just let me know where you wanna meet

SPORT TOURER: yeah the times we have gone with were on the RAC website and they allow for delays and stuff

i shall be breaking a few motor way speedlimits yeah who really sticks to 70mph anyway

ive had my licence 6 monthsI know that is still inexperienced but i have no probs with long distance driving + i'll have a mate with me so the driving will be shared

how did you find out a return journey would be 10hrs the RAC route planner has it as 6 hrs

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Hi antz1983 - I say 6 hrs for the return journey is a bit optimistic, because I live in Cornwall and know how long it takes to drive that way. It's easily 3hrs drive to Stonehenge from where I live. I live in Newquay and Land's End is still over an hours drive away. Don't forget the roads are single carriageway,through villages etc with 30mph limmits once you get halfway through Cornwall on the way to Land's End - throw in the odd Caravan and a tractor or two and you'll soon slow up. The RAC doesn't allow for "real "delays!

Hope the journey goes well and also that you don't encounter too many delays so your journey is a bit quicker.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts