Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a quickie hopefully.

Whilst under the motor fixing the engine fans wiring I noticed that there is greenish goo all over the inside of the left side front wheel and 'workings'.

My question is;

Is the only thing that could be leaking in this area be the brake fluid or is there anything else in that region that uses some form of fluid?

Thankye:)

EDIT: Here is a photo of the offending stuff. I'm now thinking it's not break fluid but if anyone can shed any light on it for me I'd be grateful.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
That looks like CV joint grease Scatz.Check the gaiter is fitted properly,it looks a bit loose to me.:)

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That looks like CV joint grease Scatz.Check the gaiter is fitted properly,it looks a bit loose to me.:)
Cheers Lag. Does the gator need to be pushed over towards the wheel in your opinion?

EDIT: Have just checked the other side to compare and noticed that there is a metal 'clip' round the gaitor on the other side but not on this side (see red line added to above picture). Problem solved.....well, gotta get one of those clips first, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
You can use a cable tie temporarily,but be sure to re-fill the gaiter with some correct grease.Ideally you need a proper metal clip,but you've got a job to get these without buying a gaiter kit.

If your struggling,I'll see if we've got any left at work,but I don't go back in till Tuesday.If we've got one,I'll send it to you.:)

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You can use a cable tie temporarily,but be sure to re-fill the gaiter with some correct grease.Ideally you need a proper metal clip,and you've got a job to get these without buying a gaiter kit.

If your struggling,I'll see if we've got any left at work,but I don't go back in till Tuesday.If we've got one,I'll send it to you.:)
What grease is it Lag? Also, is it just filled with the stuff? Did you mean cable 'tie'?

Ooooo, all questions me, this aft;)

I'll have a look at the scrappies on Tuesday and let you know if I've managed to get one, if not, your offer would be great, thanks.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It's CV joint grease.....:d

You don't fill the gaiter completely,a couple of 'sqeezes' into the gaiter should be enough to replace the grease that you've lost.

And,yep,I meant a cable tie.......:eek:(post edited now...:d)

Don't bother going to the scrappies for a second hand clip,you can only use them once properly.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the stuff I need, yes?

I shall order it and cable tie once I have received. Just squeeze the grease into the gaiter before cable tying yes?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Yep,thats ideal Scatz.:)

A cable tie will be fine as a temporary fix,but they generally get weak and fall off eventually.I'll be in touch on Tuesday evening if we have a metal clip at work.

You could also use a big Jubilee clip,but you have to be carefull that you have enough clearance for it as the section with the screw in it tends to get caught on the caliper etc.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks very Lag. I'll wait to hear from you re the clip. If not I shall use the jubilee clip method:).

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi scatz as lag has said you can use a jubilee clip,but the clips for this job are better but i was in B&Q the other day and at the pluming section there they sell a slimmed down version of a Jubal clip in a pack off two for £1.50 and it tightens the same way by screw or socket and you will have enough clearance once fitted i hope this helps Donald

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers Donald.

I shall pop in there on Tuesday. Cannot do earlier as I'm off up to London tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
It is also a good idea to try and remove grease from where the gater sits and clip goes or it might slip off have used cable ties to great effect and they last a long time all be it on mini's and 1100's
tinker2

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@ Lag - any luck finding a clip for us good buddy? No problem if not, I'll just pop up to B&Q as Sir Donald suggested and get a Jubilee Clip.:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Sorry Scatz,we've run out of clips and gaiters!.Our supplier is a bit hit and miss at the moment,so I can't promise when he's going to bring us out some more.

If he arrives within the next few days,I'll give you a shout,and if you still need one we'll sort something out,

Sorry again.:eek:

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problem Lag, fixed with wire tie this morning. Should hold for a while plus I noticed that most boot kits are sold with wire ties anyhow!

I recall, also, that you were going to advise me on what brake discs etc to avoid, PM me, if that's alright;)

Thanks for your help all:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts