Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just got my first Renault Clio, 2003 car, Mk 2 5 door Hatchback.
It has a leaking sunroof and I believe this is a common problem? I have changed the seal by taking out the frame thinking this would solve it but it hasn't :-(
The drainage pipes are clear as I have tested them and I don't know what else to do.
If anyone has any ideas then please do let me know and thank you in advance for any help!

Patrick

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
It won't be the seal to the glass. Your problem will be were the sun roof frame is sealed to the roof itself. If you gently press around the edge of the roof you can see a gap appear as the seal will have deteriorated.
You are going to have to remove the complete frame assembly and re seal it.
Iv had to do it on all three mk2 Clio's in the family.
Remove the glass completely
Remove the seal between the head lining and in side of the sun roof.
You should be able to pull the head lining down enough to see the 10mm clamping nuts.
Top Tip
Before dismantling the sun roof, clean the roof thoroughly and then mask around the frame. This will make cleaning off the excess silicon easier.
Purchase some good auto silicon for the job as you only want to do it once.
Once you have all the necessary items assembled you can undo the nuts around the clamping ring. Use gloves as the head lining will make your hands itch like mad.
Be careful with the drain tubes.
Once the frame is out thoroughly clean the roof area and frame.
As you should still have the masking tape on the roof, this will help center the frame.
Apply a bead of silicone to the roof and re assemble the frame.
Have a second person hold it central as you tighten the nuts to stop it sliding on the silicone.
Once tightened up clean off the excess silicone, remove the masking tape and clean again.
Finish off re assembly and don't let it get wet for 24 hrs.
Hope this helps.:wink2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi My wife's Clio has the dreaded sunroof leak, water is coming in soaking the driver's seat and footwell. Can I use gorilla tape to seal the sunroof externally until the Summer when I hope days will be drier?

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Hi

if the sun roof is a manual one its a 3hr jobbie .

did both Daughters and her partners Clio II's in 1 afternoon by following the you tube video here

note the 10 mm ratchet spanner used, you will need one as there is no way to get a normal socket in there !

you will need to be able to open the doors both sides you will need either a dry day or a large garage as
a domestic single garage will not do.

Al

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi it's a manual sunroof, trouble is we live on a busy main road, so I would need to take it to a friend's where I can work on it without being knocked down. It's that bad. As you know the weather has been terrible in the UK for the past month, rain nearly everyday. Can I do anything to stop the rain going through the sunroof trim into the car for the time being? Today my wife had to get rid of ice on the inside of the windscreen due to the amount of wet in the car.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,509 Posts
you could use waterproof tape around the seal of the sunroof ( on the outside obviously), but be aware it may take some of the paint off with it when you remove it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts