Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car went in for its MOT last week, it failed on a couple of things and the headlight aim too low.
All the faults were rectified, took it back and the MOT tester said that my headlights 'kick' or spread to the wrong side. Another garage said similar last week, that I had 'French' headlights.
I have had issues with the headlight last year, a wrongly fitted headlight adjuster, the part was for a different model.
So it is posiblethat its been in an acident and someone has fitted left hand drive car parts.
How will I correct this, headlight units, even second hand ones, are expensive.that last owner was a right bodger, lol

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Yeah I would actually like to hear from somebody that's successfully converted a car with plastic lenses and are using it regularly by fitting these stickers ............................unwanted light simply cut by the sticker will effectively reduce light output by I guess 20-30% (?) .......... and that "cut light" is converted to heat on the lens surface.................. legal as in not objectionable to oncoming traffic yes, but 2 other major issues imo - long term durability of the plastic lens and actual light output to where it matters.

The reflector is the major defining element of light pattern nowadays especially with nice looking super clear lenses

The bike is a different story because of the more durable glass lens

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I would actually like to hear from somebody that's successfully converted a car with plastic lenses and are using it regularly by fitting these stickers ............................unwanted light simply cut by the sticker will effectively reduce light output by I guess 20-30%
The bike is a different story because of the more durable glass lens

I have ordered a pair, for £6, 'Beam Deflectors' rather than blockers, like someone told me they just used black tape when they went abroad a few years ago.
We must have lots of left handdrive cars in this country, the beam being wrong was not mentioned at its last MOT. A pair of second hand headlights may cost me £50+, I will try the beam benders first.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
I have ordered a pair, for £6, 'Beam Deflectors' rather than blockers, like someone told me they just used black tape when they went abroad a few years ago.
We must have lots of left handdrive cars in this country, the beam being wrong was not mentioned at its last MOT. A pair of second hand headlights may cost me £50+, I will try the beam benders first.
Thats a totally different kettle of fish again ..............

A "bender" has a fixed characteristic angle that it can "bend" the light though ............... so depending on the lens angle relative to the beam projected, I guess results will vary quite a lot.

Let us know what you find.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also looking at replacing the headlight unit, my car is a early 2006 Megane, EBay sellers are stating 2002/06 and some 2002/08, was there a change in headlight, and when.

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
Also looking at replacing the headlight unit, my car is a early 2006 Megane, EBay sellers are stating 2002/06 and some 2002/08, was there a change in headlight, and when.
Hi

yes 2006 is change over year

the later 2006 units have the 'projector' style lamp units.

I don't know if they are interchangeable ?
wiring connectors and also mounting points ?
may be different

Al

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
Agree with LvR can't see how you can use stickers et al on the modern plastic moulded car head lights. The old fashioned flat round glass reflector type, yes. Even then that only blocks the dip kick-up on the left, doesn't get you the equivalent for the right.

-

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up buying a pair of headlights(£40) from the local scrap yard. Had I tried the stickers and they did not work, I would have to pay for a MOT retest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts