Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening everyone

Just had my mk3 clio 2008 sorted regarding washer jets and headlights not working. Since having it back have noticed the left indicator and read fog lights not working. Maybe they have been knocked in the stalk when checking main head lights? The indicator goes on then off and if i hold it down it works fine. Right indicator works and so do the hazards. Any ideas what to try first?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,545 Posts
indicator stalk, if you are having to hold it down, that is if the steering wheel is in the correct position, and its not being self cancelled before it should be
Is your rear foglight indicator light illuminating on the dash, when your fog light is switched on, ( this Only works with lights on)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ours.

Indicator works for a second then goes off without moving steering wheel. Odd one.

Fog light doesnt illuminate on dash when turning it on while lights are on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would it be worthwhile just replacing the stalk or taking it off and having a look at the wires at the back for burnt/loose/dirty connections? Cheapest stalk on ebay is 40 quid and im struggling to find a guide on removal.

Im guessing fog lights may be linked as its on the same stalk also?

·
Registered
Clio 3 TCE 2010
63 Posts
Hi OP,

Hope you don't mind me coat-tailing on this thread as it will otherwise save me opening a new one for the same issue you're having with the rear fog light not working from the switch. In my case, all other functions on the stalk are fine though, and an actuation test with the scan tool shows the fog light working fine.

My question is like yours: is it worth trying anything repair-wise with the switch, or just replace it? And does the steering wheel need to come off to do the replacement?

If I can't coat tail, I'm happy to open a new thread! ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi skyperr

No of course not, the more the merrier.

Ive actually found the lights for left indicator and rear fog work, if i push the stalk inwards towards column. Makes me think i MIGHT just get away with repairing stalk rather than replacing it. Is there any play in your stalk (kinky!)? If you find any answers please let me know and likewise for me.

Thank you

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, going to take off the column housing tomorrow and take a look at the wiring behind the stalk. Ive read that they are prone to breaking as wear and tear and the movement of the steering wheel can affect it also. The wiring can apparently become disconnected from the connection block also. Ill see what i can find and post my findings back. Its got worse in the last day. Right indicator now turns on main beams at the same time!

Anyone else had this type of issue before? Any advice of what to do/check/advise would be awesome. Even a temporary fix would be great till I can purchase a new stalk and go from there, if that will fix the issue. Im hoping its not worse than I think!

Thank you
Steve

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Afternoon all.

Right. I did it. At least so far so good. I followed the guide here http://int03.co.uk/blog/2014/04/23/renault-modus-flashing-headlight-fault/ loosely.

Apart from what found was one wire hanging out the 10 pin connector block. Used a safety pin to pick out the wire left behind in the block and then cut a cm off the wire that has become disconnected...and then pushed back into block. At first it was perfect then i put everything back on and tested, some functions didnt work. So i took out each wire out of the connection block cut a bit back and reconnected. Some ends of wires were brittle and snapped clean. This i think, was the issue with the intermittent faults as sometimes it would make a connection. Fit back, plugged neg battery connection on, tested, refit everything, tested and then went for a drive...speed bumps and silly roundabouts included for the acid test. All ok. My auto head lights even work now. Pic of the block below. Hope this helps some of you and thanks for advice guys.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts