Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2000 V6 Espace last week. Just over 72,000 miles. Finally found reasonable priced independant to replace timing belt major service, water pump etc etc. But he cant do it until Monday.

Issue is I 've promised to take kids to legoland this weekend. Round trip about 800 mile. I've been advised that the cam belt should have been changed at 5 years (2 years ago). And every bit of sense in my head says scrap legoland, park it up, its only gonna snap and cost you a major rebuild plus the hassle of stranded family on side of motorway.

But try explaining this to a 3 and 5 year old, wife, and nana that have been stuck in the house for two weeks on easter
break climbing walls.

How long is a piece of string (timing belt?) :crazy: :crazy:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bought a 2000 V6 Espace last week. Just over 72,000 miles. Finally found reasonable priced independant to replace timing belt major service, water pump etc etc. But he cant do it until Monday.

Issue is I 've promised to take kids to legoland this weekend. Round trip about 800 mile. I've been advised that the cam belt should have been changed at 5 years (2 years ago). And every bit of sense in my head says scrap legoland, park it up, its only gonna snap and cost you a major rebuild plus the hassle of stranded family on side of motorway.

But try explaining this to a 3 and 5 year old, wife, and nana that have been stuck in the house for two weeks on easter
break climbing walls.

How long is a piece of string (timing belt?) :crazy: :crazy:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol.....

I know...

Was hoping you'd say stop worrying, these things last for hundreds of thousands of miles 72,000 miles is just a superconservative figure. Get yourself away....

If only Carlsberg made timing belts....

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
piece of string is not long enough....as Otto says Russian Roulette......don't do it

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Timing belt roulette

If it were mine I would'nt take the risk - if the belt went and wrecked the engine the vehicle would probably become uneconomic to repair. The V6 engine is tres expensive to fix, etc. Plus getting the belt replaced would be cheaper than a day out for all at Legoland. If it broke down imagine 400 miles from home and paying for an overnight stay, etc. :d

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
My boss ran his 406 v6(same engine) over 100,000 on the original belt.We eventually changed it at 105k as he sold it to someone else.:)

You know what sods law dictates,though.:eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No you're all missing the point.....

You're supposed to be telling me stories of how many renault's you know have done well over eighty thousand miles on one belt.

How bullet proof the engine's are.

How great a weekend it will be!!

How I have nothing to worry about.

How can a timing belt know the difference between
72050 miles and 72850 miles.

Can't you see I am in premiership denial here!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I took my Astra to nearly double the recommended limit before the timing belt failed (63K when it was due at 36K.) Foolishly, I'd assumed that just because it was routinely dealer serviced, they'd actually do what needed doing when it needed doing. Apparently it was my fault for not specifically asking them to change the belt at the 36K service. Fortunately the old Vauxhall 1.6 8v donk was a non-interference design.

Being rational about this, the risk of failure increases gradually over time and mileage. The belt isn't 100% reliable up to 72,000 miles, and then a disaster waiting to happen from 72,001 onwards - it can fail with 5 miles on the clock or still be going strong at 150K.

The real issue here is how hard you'd be kicking yourself if it did fail and you knew you'd left it too late. If it fails at 71,999 miles then that's bad luck. If it fails at 72,001 then you'll feel like you've nobody to blame but yourself.

What's more, if an excursion like this is not in line with how the car's usually driven, then that might increase the risk of failure. A friend of mine had the timing belt go on his car - he'd been using it as a taxi for local journeys for years and it was fine. He took it on a motorway run up to Aberdeen, and 'bang!' - new engine time. It could have been coincidence, but I reckon it was more to do with a worn belt not being up to the job of holding high engine RPM's for long periods of time.

Ultimately, it's your decision. I'd go with what everyone else is saying and postpone it until after you've had the belt done.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
See my post in your other thread.:)

I'm sure a mod will be along in mo to merge the two together.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
How much is the independant charging for the belt replacement? As its a engine out job..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thankyou for all your advice.

It all makes sense and with my luck I am mad to even contemplate going.

It's just hard when you've promised kids stuff and they've looked forward to it.

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
Take the risk! You are only just over mileage...and you're booked in for the new one??!!

If it gives up on the journey then I'll contribute £50 - just get another 99 other forum members to match my offer and that should cover the cost of the new engine if required!!:d

A new engine is approx 3 times the cost of a belt change - if you did the journey 3 times how many times would the belt fail under similar circumstances??!!:d

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Got to agree with what's been said already. It would be less risky if it was just due a change based on the mileage - add to the equation that its 2 years overdue for a change and the risk is just too great to chance it.

I would shop around for a hire MPV (or just postpone it for a week) - I know its easier said than done, but can you imagine the family being happy about sitting on the hard shoulder - blaming you (no doubt) for putting them at risk? You'll also be kicking yourself (with both feet) for caving-in and being faced with a huge bill.

Salt being rubbed into the wound doesn't quite go far enough to describe how you would feel....

Its your call at the end of the day - but if it were me - no chance!

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
It really is just hit and miss. Belts can go way earlier than they say or last way longer. I'd be tempted to say it'd probably be fine but then again you never know. If it were me i'd put off the trip for a week maybe (providing you can go then)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Plan of Attack:

Try and Hire MPV this morning. If no joy then gonna bite bullett.

To remain consistent with my usual karmic negative existance odds on it costs me over 250 to hire MPV for weekend then belt snaps on way to workshop for service on monday.

I will let you all know on the other side.

Have a great weekend and cheers for the such 'sensible' comments.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts