Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2001 laguna 3.0 v6 which is using a lot of oil, instead of getting it fixed I want to change the whole engine myself for one with less miles that I can get cheap. What I need to know is do I need to change the ecu to go with the new engine. Or if I put it in it will just work with original ecu.

Any clarification will be great.

Cheers Ian Edwards

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Your best bet is to get an identical engine to yours and keep all your own electronics. If there is a slight difference you may have to swap a few bits from your old engine (e.g. sensors, alternator, inlet manifold).

You'll find otherwise you need various bits of programming doing and may find parts incompatible.

After the swap I'd recommend you have a garage or someone with diagnostic equipment reset adaptions in your Engine Control Module so that it can start learning adaptions for the new engine, although this is not essential.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it is the same engine, just found out it has been stripped, just the block heads manifold ect left, So -

Take out existing engine,
Transfer all parts, sensors, injectors, coils, ect
Refit with new oil and coolant.

And hopefully it should fire up ?

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a auto, the existing box is good and the guy says he got paperwork for a cam belt change. Hopefully it will be all good, I'm in no rush to do it, its been off the road for more than a year now cos I bought another car, I was gona break it and sell the parts, but I haven't had the heart to do it cos I loved driving it so much, Now Im missing the comfort and guts of the laguna so I'm gona fix her.

Cheers for your help

Ian

G

·
Is you car a manual or an auto?

I don't know about the V6 engines but many of the Renault 4 cylinder engines have different crank shaft PCD's fo manual and automatic engines so you can't fit a flywheel to an auto engine and vice versa with a torque converter to a manual application engine

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
The clue is in the post above yours.....plus,as far as I know the Laguna 2 was only ever available as an auto,no manual option was offered.

G

·
The clue is in the post above yours.....plus,as far as I know the Laguna 2 was only ever available as an auto,no manual option was offered.
I thought he was referring to the replacement engine? That’s why I asked if his was an auto.

But obviously you have now answered my question :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea it was, I was looking every ware for a manual, then the local Renault dealer told me it was only ever produced as a auto, I was then gutted. But the auto box is very good and can be fun in manual.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
2,944 Posts
i had a look over a v6 initial engine in a breakers yard some time ago, i even had a try at stripping the exhaust off one, i gave up as the subframe had to come off and the equipement wasnt available on site to do it safely.

you are soo going to enjoy swapping that monster over.

just dont make any plans that it can be done DIY over a weekend:d

i think the worst thing about those engines is the dual cat's and utter lack of space in and around the engine.
definitly a top down dissasembly to get it removed.

very best of luck in doing it without gashed knuckles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Already been through the whole duel cat thing, cos the car was burning oil it set the cat on fire, blocked the exsaust, I had to take it off on the side of the road, complete nightmare, just to move the car. Then spend the next few months trying to find a second hand one from a breakers. Only to put the car off the road cos i didn't have enough time to do the engine. And yea my hands were a bit busted up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, engine came, all good, then I started on the car.

Replaced the engine, changed all oil, coolant, filters ect.

Fingers crossed, pressed the button, started first time, brilliant.

The engines are basically plug and play.

Ran fine but and then stopped idling properly like it was missing. So checked the coils. All ok,

Started again ran and BANG.

So I've had the head off and found a shattered piston. Took the sump off and found all the bits plus a bolt.

Whoever took the engine out the donor car must have dropped a bolt down one of the air intakes, and was jammed in a valve and worked it's way into the cylinder. I know it wasn't me because all bolts accounted for and I covered intakes while it was still on the pallet and didn't take it off till it was in and ready for the manifold.

Absolutely gutted. 2 days Of lying on my back, all that work and wasted money ruined cos of some careless (bleep).

Sorry it's long winded but I had to finish the story.

Any way trying to change the piston using a good one out the old engine and the head off it to. And hoping for the best.

Last time I trust a breaker selling on eBay. Who was probably being honest saying it was running perfect before it was removed. And in removing it dropped little bolt in it and screwed the whole thing when I started it.

Bugger lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.